Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost radio??

Options
  • 10-06-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭

Intriguing:

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/tayside/181127-radio-ghost-mystery-at-former-raf-station/
    A 70-year-old radio at a Scottish heritage centre has been picking up vintage broadcasts featuring Winston Churchill and the music of Glen Miller.

The Pye valve wireless at Montrose Air Station, a heritage centre that tells the story of the men and women who served there, has no power and is not connected to any source of electricity.

The vintage radio set is kept in a recreation of a 940s room. Several people have heard Second World War era broadcasts including the big band sound of the Glenn Miller orchestra and speeches by Winston Churchill. The broadcasts come on at random and can last for up to half an hour.

Technicians who examined it removed the back, but found "nothing but cobwebs and spiders".

"If we had a powerful transmitter in the area the radio might pick up something, but we don't.

"It is an old Pye radio which would probably explode if it was switched on."
    Mr Phillip said: "We have all heard the footsteps and seen door handles turn but the wireless is something new and unexplainable.

"It's not just one of us who's heard it - most of us here have. We are talking about highly educated, reliable people.

"My wife Aileen was with me when we heard the Glenn Miller Orchestra last weekend. She's a physicist and not predisposed to believing in things like this but no-one has an explanation.

"If there was a transmitter nearby you'd think it might pick up Radio One or something, but I know what we heard. It went on for half an hour on and off. But the aerial is out anyway.

"It plays Glenn Miller, and that's what everyone has heard. It is very faint and you have to put your ear to it, but that's what it's playing. All the experts say it should be impossible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Yet no one has tried to record the audio or show a video of the unit while music is playing. Great story and even better music. Not like the crap the kids are listening to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

well if they only play glenn miller in the afterlife, Im all for keeping on living

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I wonder though, do the people who have heard it have hearing aids? that would add a more mechanical element to the mix. Like how many youngsters would know a glenn millar tune? You might notice I cant spell his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

maccored wrote: »
    well if they only play glenn miller in the afterlife, Im all for keeping on living

Glenn Miller got captured by an alien craft over the English channel, so we must bear this in mind.

Advertisement