Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICF render problem.

Options
  • 09-06-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I know these posts are a bit old now, but i built an ICF <SNIP> house in Cork 3 years ago and now I have serious problems with the recomended <SNIP> render that was used.
    Basically its coming away from the wall mainly at the plint level all the way around the house but also at some joints at pvc soffit level, I also have some water ingress around some windows.
    I am now chasing the supplier of the <SNIP> plaster who has been at the house to see the problem, and took a sample away to send to Germany for tests.
    Has anyone else had problems with the render on ICF houses, and to anyone building an ICF do your homework first, although we have a beautifull and warm house now, it has some serious issues now, and many a time, I said I should have gone with blocks or timber frame.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,936 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved the above to anew thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ghoeky

Cheers Im new to all this

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Moggaman

i built an icf and rendered it in <SNIP>...never again
    *1 - the guy from the north selling it is the greatest cowboy of all time
    *2 the <SNIP> product has to be applied 4mm thickness, then the yellow grid is worked into it, then another 4mm of <SNIP> and finally the coloured finish which is about 2 mm thick. the reason its coming off in my opinion is cause the plasterer took a shortcut...wasn,t an english guy that applied it for you by any chance cause dont get me started on him. to fix it you could strip the plinth, pin in a stainless steel mesh and plaster with a sand cement render. steel will give it a key.......

Hi Moggaman, thanks for your reply, can you tell me a bit more about your story?
    1. What ICF system did you use was it <SNIP> like mine?
    2. What problems did you have with the render is it falling off the wall at plint level do you have water ingress around windows?
    3. What support if any did you get from <SNIP> Ireland ?
    4. What solution did you use to fix the problems ?

You said you had problems with the contractor, well i could`nt fault mine he did a good job and did what <SNIP> told him to, but <SNIP> gave me two renders also, the base coat was a WDP 070, and top coat was SK-K acrylic, the problem seems to be the base coat which <SNIP> specified and I think was totaly unsuitable for the job, when it gets damp which it is at plint level mainly it just starts to crumble away.
    <SNIP> came down to Cork to see the problem and wont answer the phone or email since then, which in my view is an admission of guilt. Even <SNIP> dont want to know.
    Anyway, I was thinking of sand and cement all around the plint like you said can you tell me if thats what you did,
    kind regards.
    confused.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 45,936 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Right guys I have tidied this thread up to remove business names and especially the private individual's name that was mentioned.

Please read the forum charter before posting again.

You may carry this on by PM if you wish.

• Advertisement

I have built an ICF house and i decided to use the "standard" sand/cement render and have had (so far) no problems at all.

One thing I did notice with ICF is that the polystyrene is not UV stable, the UV causes the surface to turn to dust, could it be that the surface dust was not scrubbed off before applying the render. I scrubbed the walls before applying a layer of expanded metal and getting the plasterer to throw on a scud coat.

No, the problem is definitely a damp one and the fact that the product used for the base coat was not suitable for the jod. The problem is mainly around the plint where damp is rising for the most part the walls are sound, for the moment which is why i am keen to repair it to stop it progressing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

The type of proprietary plaster used below plinth and the type of insulation used below plinth should not be the same as above plinth. Sorry can't give more info. at this time, but you can see how the insulation at ground level can be damp for most of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Moggaman

same guy i dealt with.....from the north....believe me...you will get nowhere....redo the plinth with a sand cement render over a ss mesh. only problem with that is that your plinth will be outside your wall cause the icf render is only 10mm thick and you will need a 20mm render for sand cement.......

How about looking at cement particle board*, It's like plasterboard but made with cement.

Just get strips of it and stick them onto the plinth and then put on a standard top coat of plaster.

* I'm not sure of the correct name, it's often used as firestop within buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

How about looking at cement particle board*, It's like plasterboard but made with cement.

Just get strips of it and stick them onto the plinth and then put on a standard top coat of plaster.

* I'm not sure of the correct name, it's often used as firestop within buildings.

Cementitious Board is another name for it. Try Tegral Bluclad(they do have several...), Knauf Aquapanel, Durock (from Greenspan)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

I have built an ICF house and i decided to use the "standard" sand/cement render and have had (so far) no problems at all.

I didn't know this was possible with ICF. Is this also the case with external insulation (non ICF)?

BarneyMc wrote: »
    I didn't know this was possible with ICF. Is this also the case with external insulation (non ICF)?

Best ask the manufacturers, with ICF the suppliers said it was OK to use standard sand cement mix.

What ICF system did you use donalbaker ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Answer by pm only please

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Me neither........
    Best ask the manufacturers, with ICF the suppliers said it was OK to use standard sand cement mix.
    ...mmm, I'd be double-checking that if it were me........we have a small extension on at the moment (not ICF) and I asked the contractor: he says std sand/cement won't work. I'm assuming he knows what he's talking about.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

ghoeky wrote: »
    What ICF system did you use donalbaker ?

Follow the "self-build website!" link in my sig

Advertisement