Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cooking Club

Options
  • 09-06-2010 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭

Reading through the "How fit are you" thread it strikes me that the issue a lot of lads have is cooking, eating properly and their diet in general.

The lads over in Food & Drink have started a new forum today, called The Cooking Club which might help some of you out.

Basically its a shed load of pretty easy to handle recipes for all sorts of things. All stuff you can cook at home, with fresh ingredients instead of buying pre-packaged guff in Tesco.

Go have a looksee and maybe try something out. You would be surprised how easy some stuff is to knock up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Also this youtube series done by a chef is pretty damn awesome, he teaches "cooking methods" and not recipes. There's like 100 episodes which cover basics from knowing your pot from your pan to more complicated things. Towards the end of the behemoth series he tries to get you to join his then new website but the episodes on youtube are a gold mine of information!

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChefToddMohr

a fine example

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks Dr G! There's loads of great recipes in the main Cooking & Recipes forum too, and great how-to's like how to make the best homemade pizza and how to cook the best possible steak. Not necessarily the healthiest, perhaps, but it's a hell of a lot better than buying prepackaged stuff, and you can control salt levels at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Dr Galen wrote: »
    You would be surprised how easy some stuff is to knock up.

Don't remind me.
    And Fathers Day is comming up soon. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I know it reads P.C. but I always read that as BBQ. :D

I really should put some recipes for goat back into my sig. Spitroast goat was popular.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Yeah dudes learn how to cook well.
    ladys love it

/Smugely smiles :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Some of those recipes sounded delish. I can think of a few lady friends who'd love the baileys and malteseaser cheesecake, or the brownies.

Cheers Dr G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Faith wrote: »
    Thanks Dr G! There's loads of great recipes in the main Cooking & Recipes forum too, and great how-to's like how to make the best homemade pizza and how to cook the best possible steak. Not necessarily the healthiest, perhaps, but it's a hell of a lot better than buying prepackaged stuff, and you can control salt levels at least.

Steak is a great source of protein & if you cook it without the fat, it's very healthy, though if the fat is rendered properly, a lot of the fats are cooked out anyway. I always cook it on it's side (fat side down) first to do this.

Home-made pizzas are fairly healthy too - especially if you make your own tomatoe sauce & don't put too much crap on the top... like you say, a LOT healthier than takeaway or frozen pizzas - the nutrition information on the side of a Goodfellas pizza is frightening... even reading it could give you a stroke!

Diet is not a problem with me - I absolutely love cooking, do everything from scratch & never eat processed foods or takeaway. I'm a wee bit lazy though, so don't exercise as much as I probably should.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Nothing like a nice salad with bits and pieces picked from your own vegitable plot (as I'm sure DrG will agree). I've got a garden full of goodies and loads more on the way.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

OldGoat wrote: »
    Nothing like a nice salad with bits and pieces picked from your own vegitable plot (as I'm sure DrG will agree). I've got a garden full of goodies and loads more on the way.

I agree with you 100% fresh veg out of the garden tastes amazing compared to some of the stuff you buy in shops.

Nice bit of reash rocket from the folks garden and some other bts and peaces mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

please stop talking about food.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement