Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-wiring of switch for overhead lights- cost?

Options
  • 09-06-2010 8:05pm

Hi All

Bit of a problem....

The overhead lights in the bathroom went on us, we presumed it was the fuse..(don't laugh :D , but I thought the fuse might be behind the switch, link in plugs...)

I'm generally a BIT of a handyman, so I switched the electricity off and took off the switch, then I stupidly took the switch off.

Now, I dont have a clue where to start by putting it back on, as theres a pile of wires and I dont know where goes where....and now none of the overhead lights upstairs work.

Does anyone know how much of a job it would be to get the switch re-wired back on so we have the upstairs lights back, not too worried about the fuse for the bathroom at the moment.

Any ideas how much, or can you recommend a cheap electrician/handyman who covers Swords?

Very broke at the moment, so cheaper the better, might just need a quote so we can then get the landlord to fix if needs be

Thanks for your advice in advance, pics below.

Cheers,
    SpyGuy.

ks8.jpg
    akr.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

man ive some bad switches but that beats them all. iit seems all the connections for the circuit have been brought though that box instead of having in the ceiling in a pendant. realy you should only have 2 wires. one being the live beings the main supply and the switch wire whiche becomes live when you switch it on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The good news is it is not as bad as it looks. There is one cable unconnected in your picture (brown). Expect this to be live! Once this is reconnected your lights will work again (except the bathroom).

From your picture this is a 2 gang switch (double). Expect to see a wire at the back connecting one switch to the other. The chances are that connecting the wire that has fallen out to this link wire will solve your problems.

This work should only be carried out by a qualified electrician and should take less than 10 minutes. It should not be carried out while live!

I would do it for you except that I am miles from you.

Good luck!

Just to add, metal switches should be earthed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 thxireland

hi there i am an electrician and it looks like you have two browns (lives) and one blue i.e neutral lose but the blue is cut which could mean either it is disconnected or broke off at that connector either way you would first need to check weather this is a 2 way switched circuit cause with the amount of wires there i would say there would have to be strapers in there with the lives put the best way is to get a continuity tester to bell out the cables if your unsure of what is there

Thanks guys for all the advice....shouldn't cost much at all then just to get the other lights back working, I can let the landlord worry about the fuse for the bathroom!

Dont worry, not going to even try and fix myself, have done far too much damage myself now.

Can anyone recommend someone off boards round north Dublin? Might as well keep the business local :-)

pm me if you need someone and i'll come around shouldn't cost to much

• Advertisement

thxireland wrote: »
    pm me if you need someone and i'll come around shouldn't cost to much

Deadly, I'll give you a shout at some stage then.

Thanks a mill !

no problem talk to you soon

Advertisement