Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Great Circle Distance Calculator

Closed Accounts Posts: 784 Anonymous1987

Hey, I'm looking for a website capable of calculating great circle distance between capital cities, also it should be of high enough accuracy to include in a thesis. Any ideas? I have most of the data already, only problem is the the dataset I used excluded former soviet countries so I was advised to search for a distance calculator, I'm just unsure of the quality of some of the sites I've found online. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Hey, I'm looking for a website capable of calculating great circle distance between capital cities, also it should be of high enough accuracy to include in a thesis. Any ideas? I have most of the data already, only problem is the the dataset I used excluded former soviet countries so I was advised to search for a distance calculator, I'm just unsure of the quality of some of the sites I've found online. Help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong-vincenty.html

This uses Vincenty’s formula, an accepted iterative method of computing distance on the WGS84 reference ellipsoid to submillimeter accuracy.

Advertisement