Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare & Going back to Education

Options
  • 09-06-2010 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Is there any way that you could get the state to pay for you to do a masters if your on the dole i.e. get the dole and the state to pay the course fees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

The Back to Education Allowance doesn't cover study for a Master's degree.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Pages/ABacktoEducationAllowanceBTEA.aspx

The postgraduate option of the BTEA scheme is only for people who wish to take:

* a postgraduate course of study that leads to any Higher Diploma (H. Dip.) qualification in any discipline. or
    * a postgraduate Diploma in Education (Primary or Secondary teaching).

Other postgraduate qualifications including a Master's degree are not recognised for BTEA purposes.

You may however be able to apply for a grant.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/third-level-education/fees-and-supports-for-third-level-education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is there any way that you could get the state to pay for you to do a masters if your on the dole i.e. get the dole and the state to pay the course fees?
    No - you can apply for a grant but you go off the dole once you are in full time education

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Balagan wrote: »
    The Back to Education Allowance doesn't cover study for a Master's degree.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Pages/ABacktoEducationAllowanceBTEA.aspx

The postgraduate option of the BTEA scheme is only for people who wish to take:

* a postgraduate course of study that leads to any Higher Diploma (H. Dip.) qualification in any discipline. or
    * a postgraduate Diploma in Education (Primary or Secondary teaching).

Other postgraduate qualifications including a Master's degree are not recognised for BTEA purposes.

You may however be able to apply for a grant.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/third-level-education/fees-and-supports-for-third-level-education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses

What a joke. A bachelors degree wont get you far these days and a higher diploma is one level below this in the fetac range of courses. Why is the state subsidizing useless qualifications? Surely master courses would be a better investment in resources.

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    No - you can apply for a grant but you go off the dole once you are in full time education

Poverty trap. I want to get a better education but in order to do that im punished into giving up my sole means of living. I cant get a job because im not qualified and i cant get educated because i wont be able to feed myself/pay the rent, gas etc. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cowenwatch

I was meant to be starting my postgraduate course next week and have just found out the social wont cover my back to education since it is a level 9 course. Sick as a pig now. Anyone know what would happen if I did not sign off and just did my course???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Well lets see,2 year old thread asking what would happen if you commit fraud I'm nearly sure the forum charter has something about this.

Thread closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement