Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering Motorhome in Ireland, Q about process

Options
  • 09-06-2010 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi All,

I’m planning to register my UK reg motorhome in Ireland. According to its documentation, its weight is 2770kg. I have been advised by revenue that if its weight is greater than 3 tonnes, I will avoid a 13.3% of market value charge. I’ll fill it up the diesel, water and sewage tanks to the brim in an effort to get over the treshhold. If anyone with experience of this scenario has any pointers that could help, I am all ears (feel free to PM),

Thanks In Advance for all responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The 3 tonnes is unladen weight ...you will probably be allowed a full diesel tank, but water and grey water would be considered "load".

The VRT people aren't dim and they'll make sure that these tanks are empty and that there aren't sandbags or the like under the seats or in cupboards.

Get it weighed on a accurate scales anyway (pereferably the one your local VRT office uses). Many stated empty weights in the paperwork of motorhomes are simply wishful thinking of the manufacturers. Depending on what exact spec the your MH has, it might well be heavier.

In marginal cases you can save yourself money by spending some on an awning or (motor)bike carrier / tow bar to get your van over the magical 3 tons unladen.

But also keep in mind that you still want to carry stuff ...3 tons unladen ...add water, food, clothes, gas, etc and you will reach your max of 3.5 tons before you're bringing any passengers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Even full tanks won't bring you up 200kgs tbh . I weighed one once with full tanks , and then drained it and went back onto the same weigh bridge , and IIRC , it was about 180kgs , with 90-95 litre tanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyBananas

Thanks for all responses.

If anyone has any other accessories that may help me get over the threshold, I am all ears. (I already have a bike rack and a canopy).

Again, thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Solar panel , Air con on the roof , Satellite system... by accessories thet=y have to be permanent fixtures on/in the vehicle . Honestly don't think you're gonna get it over 3000kgs , without breaking the law . Going by 'vans I weigh/register here .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Fill the spare tyre with sand?? Every little helps! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement