Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 4 gold release compatible with non-dev phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭happyeveryday

Hi Elbarco,
    uploaded it earlier, a little bit of hassle, but impressed with the results, wrote a quick review so the non-developer public could get a feel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Hi Elbarco,
    uploaded it earlier, a little bit of hassle, but impressed with the results, wrote a quick review so the non-developer public could get a feel for it.

Seems to be humming away nicely. A bit of playing about now and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭costacurta

I cant wait for the unlock!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Took a while to find it, but restoring now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Working great here.

• Advertisement

My compulsive organising side is really getting a workout! FOLDERS! :)

Tip: To lock orientation, double tap home button and swipe left for the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

Can someone post a working link for both downloads or instead PM me?

How long it took all together, upgrading and restoring.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How long it took all together, upgrading and restoring.
    Thanks.
    I'm not sure tbh as I kinda went off and came back. Restoring takes the most time. Depends on how much content you have. I think it took about 20-30 minutes for me.

So it is only for Mac at the moment? Is it?

deep1 wrote: »
    So it is only for Mac at the moment? Is it?
    You need the iTunes 9.2 beta, which is Mac only at the moment, so yes.

• Advertisement

No worries , will wait.
    Roll on June 21st :)

I'm not sure tbh as I kinda went off and came back. Restoring takes the most time. Depends on how much content you have. I think it took about 20-30 minutes for me.

In and around that time for me too. Kicked it off, went for a smoke and it was booting up as I got back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

damn, got all excited when i saw this, but mac only for the moment :mad:

Its out officially in about 2 weeks anyway. Windows users can upgrade once iTunes 9.2 is out. Apple are obviously going to give OS X software priority. :)

ElBarco wrote: »
    In and around that time for me too. Kicked it off, went for a smoke and it was booting up as I got back.

That was a long smoke :)

deep1 wrote: »
    That was a long smoke :)

It's a long walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭happyeveryday

Anyone else noticed Apps that rely on GPS are not working effectively with the new iOS 4? either very very slow or saying 'Can't get a location'???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Not on a mac. Bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

obviously this will take away your jailbreaks guys so be careful. where can one find itunes 9.2?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Ok..So I have iTunes 9.2 downloaded and installed. Whats next?? How do I get the iOS4 GM Build and install it. Someone please post a link and instructions for a person without a clue:)
    Cheers

PS 3GS not jail broken

• Advertisement

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Ok..So I have iTunes 9.2 downloaded and installed. Whats next?? How do I get the iOS4 GM Build and install it. Someone please post a link and instructions for a person without a clue:)
    Cheers

PS 3GS not jail broken

I'm not too sure if it's ok to be posting links like that here. If you google "ios 4 gm ipsw" or something similar you'll find it without too many problems.

Once you have the .ipsw file you can plug your iphone into your mac, browse to it from itunes 9.2 and then click the restore button while holding the alt key - this will give you an dialog box to choose the restore file. Select the ipsw file you've downloaded and away you go.

Probably widely available on most torrent sites by now. I had tondo a bit of diggigng yesterday but I'd say it'd be okay now. The news that it was compatible was only new enough when I went looking. Supply and demand and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I'm not too sure if it's ok to be posting links like that here. If you google "ios 4 gm ipsw" or something similar you'll find it without too many problems.

Once you have the .ipsw file you can plug your iphone into your mac, browse to it from itunes 9.2 and then click the restore button while holding the alt key - this will give you an dialog box to choose the restore file. Select the ipsw file you've downloaded and away you go.

why not!! Because Mr. Jobs may not approve!?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Because, legally, it could be dubious. I'd prefer to keep them off the forum, thanks.

Because, legally, it could be dubious. I'd prefer to keep them off the forum, thanks.

That was my line of thought alright - glad to hear I wasn't just being awkward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

That was my line of thought alright - glad to hear I wasn't just being awkward

Well I take the point, but...

It would be legal to ask a developer friend to put it on, for sure. I saw no restrictions on the download site. After all they are not selling the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Hi ElBarco
    Many thanks for the direction given to me in your post. It was a great help and also within the laws of the forum as stated. Thanks also to the mods (lackofcolour) for keeping the whole thing running smoothly.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

so itunes 9.2 is out for windows now, so iOS4 should work.
    anyone tried it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

yup, i have it up and running
    waiting for windows jailbreak now !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

whats the instructions for doing it?
    i have itunes 9.2 for windows.
    ive the ios 4 gm ipsw downloaded. do i just restore the iphone using that file?
    im currently jailbroken on 3.1.2 , at what point do i rejailbreak, or will installing the ios4 break my jailbreak?
    thanks

Advertisement