Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPSS Help Wanted... will pay good rates!

Options
  • 09-06-2010 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

hi. only have a few weeks to go before the thesis is due and am looking for someone with good experience with SPSS to give some intensive assistance with data analysis. don't have the time at this stage to go through all the learning resources, tutorials and training sessions etc. need someone to actually sit down and work through the analysis with me.
    two x three hour sessions is what i have in mind. willing to pay up to €30 per hour for a pro!
    please p.m. if interested.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

timmer3 wrote: »
    hi. only have a few weeks to go before the thesis is due and am looking for someone with good experience with SPSS to give some intensive assistance with data analysis. don't have the time at this stage to go through all the learning resources, tutorials and training sessions etc. need someone to actually sit down and work through the analysis with me.
    two x three hour sessions is what i have in mind. willing to pay up to €30 per hour for a pro!
    please p.m. if interested.

Do you want someone to teach you how to do SPSS or someone who will essentially do the analysis for you? If it's the later you'd want to be careful cos that's a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

timmer3 wrote: »
    willing to pay up to €30 per hour for a pro!

The going rate for Leaving Cert German/French grinds is €25 per hour.

I do this type of thing for a living. Although I don't give grinds some of my colleagues/friends have done in the past. If you actually want a "pro" you'd be extremely lucky to get it for €30 per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

The going rate for Leaving Cert German/French grinds is €25 per hour.

I do this type of thing for a living. Although I don't give grinds some of my colleagues/friends have done in the past. If you actually want a "pro" you'd be extremely lucky to get it for €30 per hour.

Silly statement, grinds pay that rate because you're expected to prepare (usually I spend an hour preparing for an hour long grind) and they pay higher because travel time is high compared to work time.

€30 is a good rate, to be honest.

gearoidof wrote: »
    Silly statement, grinds pay that rate because you're expected to prepare (usually I spend an hour preparing for an hour long grind) and they pay higher because travel time is high compared to work time.

€30 is a good rate, to be honest.

The "preparation" for a stats grind is a master's in a technical subject like statistics or economics. Maybe you'll find a PhD student or something who's happy to take €30 but I would be concerned about the quality of someone willing to accept less than that. An awful lot of people think they know statistics when they really, really don't. You do not want to be getting grinds from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Snusmumriken

Time Magazine, what would be a fair hourly rate?

• Advertisement

It depends. €30 will get you a PhD student who will probably do a grand job, but you run a higher risk of them making a mistake. Maybe you'll be lucky and find someone who capable of doing the job for €25 p/h. €40 will get you someone better - think like getting the guy towards the top of the PhD class instead of towards the bottom. If you're looking for six hours' work, it's up to you whether it's worth the extra €60 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Economics in the works here. Driving prices to ridiculous amounts.

Fringe wrote: »
    Economics in the works here. Driving prices to ridiculous amounts.

I used to think about prices in education like that. Then I copped on.

Coming up to my finals, I was fairly confident that my final grade (barring disaster) was going to be somewhere between the low 60s and the low 70s. I thought about the job opportunities I'd have with a 62 from BESS or a 72 from BESS. 62 is a very good grade, but it's a low II.1. A 72 crosses that "first" threshold and opens up a lot more avenues to you. For one thing, it would increase your starting salary in most banks by about €5,000. Spread over five years (a reasonable amount of time before experience counts more than degree grade) that's worth €25,000.

I thought that was a little exaggerated so I shaved a few grand off and told myself that the difference between a 62 and a 72 was worth €20,000. That's €2,000 for every extra percentage point. That provided a lot of incentive for me to be in the library at 9.30am every morning.

If people are getting help with their thesis and they think saving €50 or €100 is worth the risk of e.g. a difference between only getting 67 instead of a 72, that's entirely their decision.

(PS you don't know anything about economics.)

Advertisement