Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop a computer crashing

Options
  • 09-06-2010 3:06pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to do a fairly simple thing on my laptop right now, but it crashes every 30 minutes or so.
    I have 5 minutes of HD (not full HD) video in Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0, it's one continuous piece, not lots edited together. And I'm currently putting subtitles over the whole thing.

My machine has 3gb of RAM. It's a Samsung, with Intel Premium Dual T3400 @ 2.16ghz, 2.17 ghz (I don't know why it says two different ghz).

I have no other programs running at the same time.

Is it that my computer isn't good enough, or am I doing something terribly wrong?And help would be great! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

dory wrote: »

Is it that my computer isn't good enough, or am I doing something terribly wrong?And help would be great! :o

It's probably elements as adobe don't tend to look after the cheaper applications too much. Check on line for updates to the application. You could also check for update drivers for your hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Processor fan - over heating???? Download cpu-z hardware monitor and prime 95, runt it and check temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭zippygirl

Intel Premium Dual T3400 @ 2.16ghz, 2.17 ghz (I don't know why it says two different ghz).

Because it is Dual Core :) 1 frequency for each core ;)

As for the crash, check on the temperatures, as JG009 suggested. I use Everest, but there are many programs for that...
    If all is well, maybe Premier is damaged?

I had a similar problem, but after reinstalling OS, Premier turned from an angry dragon to a lovely kitty :) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

What do you mean by 'crash'? Does it freeze? Reboot?

Do you get a blue screen (assuming you're using Windows)? If so, take down the details and post them in the Windows forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mr.spids

try system restore this normally fixes any problems I have. You can also undo system restore if you lost any important info

• Advertisement

It seems like our friend both solved his problem and forgot about this thread, or ... *^%&#^ Which I hope is not the case. :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Sorry! Yes, I did forget. It seems to be ok now because I'm not doing anything too difficult.

Think the easiest thing would be to just buy a mac...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Macs are the devil!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Sorry! Yes, I did forget. It seems to be ok now because I'm not doing anything too difficult.

Think the easiest thing would be to just buy a mac...

Yeah 'cause Premiere never crashes on my Mac Pro, and my Mac Pro never crashes....

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

people that say that sort of thing shouldn't be allowed near anything with an operating system.

• Advertisement

ditto!

Also, I did hear about MAC stability, but I would never fully reject PC customization and freedom which gives you better control.... if you can handle your machine ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Michael Doherty

Yeah 'cause Premiere never crashes on my Mac Pro, and my Mac Pro never crashes....

:rolleyes:

Premiere crashes sometimes on my Mac Pro and sometimes in Windows 7

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Premiere crashes sometimes on my Mac Pro and sometimes in Windows 7

My response was in reply to a post indicating Mac's are more stable / don't crash, which is completely untrue.

Advertisement