Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost Of Replaceing A Fanbelt

Options
  • 09-06-2010 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi there,

Does anyone know what it should cost me to replace a fanbelt on a 2000 Renault Megane. I haven;t a clue and don't the mechanic charging me through the roof.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

How much have you been quoted by your mechanic?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sunshinegirly

I haven't gone to a mechanic yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I do stuff like this myself.....its easy enough (if your any way mechanically minded), I pay no more than 20 euro in the motor factors and its replaced in less than half an hour.

If your getting a mechanic to do it get the belt in a motor factors and he souldn't charge more than 30 to 50 to change it.

Cool, thanks for that. It's good be informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Make sure you know what needs to be changed, though. Modern cars don't have fan belts.
    Auxilliary belts (that drive the alternator, air-con, power-steering and such) are cheap & easy to change. A timing belt, however, is a different story and can easily cost hundreds to replace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

cjt156 wrote: »
    Auxilliary belts (that drive the alternator, air-con, power-steering and such) are cheap & easy to change.

:eek:
    don't attempt it on a clio172 whatever ya do!

Thanks guys. It's definitely a fanbelt as the AA said so. I'm not going to attempt to do it myself, I have trouble opening a can of beans with my new tin opener!!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

cjt156 wrote: »
    Make sure you know what needs to be changed, though. Modern cars don't have fan belts.
    Auxilliary belts (that drive the alternator, air-con, power-steering and such) are cheap & easy to change. A timing belt, however, is a different story and can easily cost hundreds to replace.

Lots of people still call aux belts fan belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

gpf101 wrote: »
    Lots of people still call aux belts fan belts.

They do, and they're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Not really a big issue is it? We all know what belt we're talking about...

• Advertisement
Advertisement