Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed for filming Documentary for Internet

Options
  • 09-06-2010 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi All!

I am planning on filming a road trip across Europe in July. The aim is to shoot the footage as we travel and edit as we go on a Mac using iMovie or Final Cut Express. We need to upload daily webisodes to YouTube which will be no longer than 10 minutes.

I'm looking for a bit of advice on what kind of AV equipment might be needed / best suited for filming such a journey.

Due to the fact that I would be editing as we go I was thinking a HD Camcorder with a hard drive or flash memory work best for our purposes as ripping from a miniDV will take up valuable time.

Any advice on where one might source such equipment would be greatly appreciated also. I am based in Cork.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

As you have already suggested, a hard drive or memory stick/card camcorder would be a good option.

There are a few up on adverts.ie at the moment so you could get yourself a bargain http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=199

Try to get one that allows you to plug in an external mic, this will sound much better than any on-board mic.

I would strongly suggest getting a wide angle lens as well, especially if you are going to be shooting a lot of "in car" material.

Plenty of batteries for the camera.

A top light of some sort.

And maybe a tripod of some sort would come in handy, these are great little tripods for travelling with http://www.zipshottripod.com/product.cfm

Have fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 WeddingDates

I like the idea of the Hard Drive option, but it was pointed out to me today that MiniDV tape is just as good quality, if not better.

Also recording to tape means instant back up and also it will discipline me to be sparing with what I record. I need to remember, I have to edit footage down to 10 minute webisodes.

I agree a tripod and external mic are absolute musts. One problem these days is that most camera's in our price range hold back on extra's like an external mic input. Saw a nice deal on Adverts however, so thanks for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

If you can record in progressive, do, as this is how video is played on computers.

DV is far far better than recording on HDD on a consumer camera, as normally only mpeg 2 is recorded to HDD. this is delivery medium so not suitable for good quality editing.

If you are looking for a small good semi pro camera have a look at the panasonic hmc-40. It uses sd cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 WeddingDates

@TommyGun Thanks for the tips. Good to know MiniDV is still holding its own. Tis hard to beat tape!

That panasonic hmc40 looks the business! Looks similar to the Sony HV A1E I was investigating. Compact but professional bit of kit. I'm wondering does the panasonic not record to MiniDV though?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

I use the panasonic HMCS-150. It is a pro AVC-HD cam using sd cards also. Great camera and surpassing HDV for quality.

Panasonic do have some cams that use tape, the big move is to tapeless.

One thing to note the hmc-40 is a great camera but because of the large pixel of the 3 chips the low light capability is not great. You may need a good light.

• Advertisement
Advertisement