Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corncrake heard for first time ever on Oileán Cruit, Donegal

Options
  • 09-06-2010 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I have been visiting there for over 30 years and never heard one before - nor has anyone in my extended family.

There are 6 or 7 nesting on nearby Oileán Uaigh - so the bird we heard may be part of a new vanguard. He squawked his heart out for days.

I took a short video to record his call at: http://blog.likeplace.ie/2010/06/sound-of-first-ever-corncrake-on-cruit.html

Cruit seems well suited to him - lots of long grass. I just hope he manages to find a mate and survive.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Super work! That's a corncrake allright. Great news. Hopefully there'll be a few corncrakes fledged there.
    I heard my first corncrake on the callows in 2004. I also got a short view of one flying ( a rare event). It was unreal. I have 913 birds on my list but nothing compares to the first time I first saw my first corncrake (i've only ever seen one, heard around ten).
    Wow that news lifts the spirit:D

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Well done on Corncrake. Hope he finds a mate.
    I had one not more than 10 m away in broad daylight in W Mayo two weeks back, but despite efforts, couldn't see him !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 LikePlace

Couldn't see this guy either. At one point he could only have been 3 or 4 metres away - but no way could I see him in the tall grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Must have been a real thrill to hear it and take this video.
    never heard one myself but my paremts keep recounting the corncrake stories.
    My husband was sure it was a corncrake he spotted run into long grass last year in Mayo. I was 2 slow with the camera so can't prove or disproove what the bird was though others told me it was unlikely to be one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 LikePlace

Was exciting at first.

But he ended up squawking for days on end. Wouldn't shut up.

Video shows only a tiny fraction of his calls. Usually of much longer duration.

• Advertisement
Advertisement