Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Microdermabrasion!

Options
  • 09-06-2010 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi all,

Since I started a thread a while back about microdermabrasion (went for it and loved it but it's pricey) thought I'd share this.

Pick up one of those Neutrogena wave things in most chemists. They're about €10 but I saw them on sale in Boots recently for €5. Get a tube of St Ives microdermabrasion (fine crystals and chamomile, pale green tube), put a blob onto the pad on the Neutrogena thingy and presto - home microdermabrasion! It works really well.

The St Ives stuff was great for my face as it's quite fine but you might want something a bit rougher for the body. Can't remember the exact cost but definitely less than €10.

Not sure why it seems much better than just using a scrub, maybe it's the vibration/stimulation effect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Lynseyp

Interesting, unregistered39! I love the St. Ives stuff because it makes my skin feel so clean and soft and smells like washing powder but I've never used the wave! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I love the new St. Ives products, particularly the olive oil scrub, because its not too rough on the skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nimhbal

One of the best I,ve used is No7 Microdermabrasion scrub. Its worked miracles on my skin since I've started using it. Might be a little abrasive for dry/sensitive skin. Tutor on my beauticians course reccommended I exfoliate more and its def worked!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I didn't like "The Wave" but I'm gonna get a new one now to try this out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

Nimhbal - is it the No 7 protect and perfect stuff or a different one? Will try it thanks a mill.

Princess-lala - agreed. The wave on it's own is pure crap. I was just about to chuck it and thought of this.

• Advertisement

Just checked the tube, it say No7 Total Renewal Microdermabrasion but its def part of that range, stored near it in store. As I say, if your skin is sensitive/dry I would begin gently!! Found 1/2 a week was excellent and then I tend to apply Trilogy Rosehip oil - excellent too. Best of luck:)

OK, picked up the No 7 microdermbrasion stuff (impulse buying at its best). Like the sound of the Trilogy rosehip oil. I use Bio oil at the moment and love it but am nearly out. Is the Trilogy stuff widely available? (I'm in Dublin).

I'm in Kerry so prob not much help!! I got it in a local large chemist. I'd say it might be available in smaller chemists, I dont see it in Boots or any of the large chains. I'd try any chemists that seem to stock new ranges of skincare, or it might just be available in health food shops, they sometimes have good ranges. Hope thats of some help:)

No worries - found it! Feels gorgeous. Assuming it will knock ten years off me in a week...! Thanks again.

My skin is so soft after this :D I love it :D

Thanks for the tips :D

• Advertisement

Oh good! I think The Wave+microdermabrasion scrub+Rosehip oil = winning combo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

been using 2 aspirin rubbed into my face...really cheap anti bacterial, and gets rid off dead skin cells. sometimes the simplest methods work. but i will check your method too.

been using 2 aspirin rubbed into my face...really cheap anti bacterial, and gets rid off dead skin cells. sometimes the simplest methods work. but i will check your method too.

That's interesting. I don't have problem skin but if it's a good exfoliator I'll try anything once!

Just broken down or mixed with something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

loads of youtube video's on it.

put just 2 non-coated aspirin into the palm of your hand. add few drops of water. it quickly goes into a paste. You just dab the paste around your face and start exfoliating it with your hands (like you would with normal wash). (add more water to face/paste if needed) wash it off, and prob even use a normal gentle facewash after to remove it. Its really simple. I think once a week is enough. Your skin feels really clean after, like youve been to a steam room/sauna.

Some people i heard add honey to it (but I think that works better with a brown sugar/lemon juice homemade scrub).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

aspirin crushed with small amount of water. Aspirin has salycilic acid in it (used in lots of beauty products)...that's the magic ingredient. I wouldnt really use it on my entire face, I've always thought it was for treating spots...leave it on the spot for approx 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Please do not bump old threads. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement