Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locksmith

Options
  • 09-06-2010 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Not entirely sure where to post this, so mods please feel free to move if this is the wrong forum.

Luckily, ive never had to use a locksmith until now. I need the deadbolt lock on the front door replaced, and the 5 point lock on the side of the door fixed. I have no idea how much a locksmith costs, and am afraid to ring for fear of shock!! Also, since im a woman, I constantly get ripped off (the blonde hair doesnt help). So id like at least price range of what to expect, and what to know is a rip-off. Do they charge by the hour? Or by what needs to be done?

Thanks folks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Not entirely sure where to post this, so mods please feel free to move if this is the wrong forum.

Luckily, ive never had to use a locksmith until now. I need the deadbolt lock on the front door replaced, and the 5 point lock on the side of the door fixed. I have no idea how much a locksmith costs, and am afraid to ring for fear of shock!! Also, since im a woman, I constantly get ripped off (the blonde hair doesnt help). So id like at least price range of what to expect, and what to know is a rip-off. Do they charge by the hour? Or by what needs to be done?

Thanks folks!

Unfortunately, the job description isn't tied down enough to be able to ensure you can compare apples vs. apples. "Fixing a 5 point lock" could involve a 5 minute fix - or sourcing and fitting a replacement. In all cases it'll be a time+materials charge.

1) Do you need to change the deadlock complete - or do you simply want to change the bit where the key goes in so as to stop folk who might have keys getting in. You do this when you move into a new house/flat for instance. If only requiring the bit where you put in the key (the cylinder) then this is pretty straightforward: a few minutes install and perhaps 30 quid for the cylinder+ a couple of new keys.

2)If you need to change the whole deadlock then it very much depends on how much you want to spend on the deadlock and whether the deadlock fit's straighforwardly to your door. You could email a good photo(s) of your lock to the locksmith so that he can better pick a quick-to-fit lock.

3)It's hard to estimate what the 5 point fix would take without detail.

In dealing on the phone:

Ask what the call-out price structure is (ofttimes there's a callout charge which includes the first hours work, then a reduced rate per hour worked after that. Ask them about it using that terminology.

Discuss the first part of the job and talk about prices of lock and advantages if this one over that one. You could email your photo to them before you get on the phone so that they can see what they've to deal with (lock type, a plastic/wood door for instance).

Introduce the 5 point lock last, describe the problem and sound them out on likely cost. If it turns out they need to come back a second time, check that they don't apply the call-out charge element for that second next time.

Ring around at least 3 locksmiths to get an idea. Use what you learn on the first call (by way of info/terminology) during the second call. It'll sound like you know more the second time round (and you will know more)

Don't tell them you're blond. :)

The overall idea is to a) let it be known that you know a little about it and b) to figure out in conversation how kosher and interested they sound. Someone treating your enquiry respectfully and patiently is less likely to rip you than someone who sounds like you taking their time in detail is a hassle.

Lastly, be polite but aloof when they call. Show them the problem then leave them alone. Don't make cups of tea or engage in much conversation. Keep it business like all the way through and you'll minimise the prompts that encourage ripping off.

Advertisement