Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seaghán or seán?

Options
  • 08-06-2010 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi, I dont know if this is the right place to put it but feel free to move it if it isnt. recently I heard there is another old irish way of spelling Seán and that is Seaghán is this true? did it originate before Seán started to be used or is it just another varation of Seán like shawn (I couldnt find much about it on google)?. thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I don't know anything about "Seaghán", but I would imagine it is a spelling that predates the spelling reform. I doubt it was specifically Old Irish.

Also, "Shawn" is just an Anglicisation of "Seán".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

The spelling Seaghán was used by the scribe Seaghán Mac Dómhnaill in 1780, which classifies as Modern Irish (what we speak today), as oppposed to Classical Irish (or Early Modern Irish) which was in use until the start of the seventeenth century.

I reckon the newer spelling, Seán was probably first used by the end of the nineteenth century.

The earliest reference I can find tonight to the spelling Seán is 1927 (from Dineen's Dictionary).

I'm sure it goes back at least another 30 years or so, to when the people mentioned in the dictionary were christened.

The 1901 and 1911 censuses give the following hits:
    • 1901: Seaghán (14) Seán (0)
    • 1911: Seaghán (987) Seán (149)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

One question, Micilin, should'nt the fada be dropped when Seán has the 'gh' added? Dónal Ó Domhnall is an example of what I mean.

• Advertisement

I believe you're right. I've only seen it spelled (spelt?) Seaghan in any modern usage.

According to Litriú na Gaeilge in An Caighdeán Oifigiúil, a gh or gha in the middle of a word would be omitted. It gives the following examples:
    • bleaghan > bleán
    • breághthacht > breáthacht

The problem is that these recommendations were made in 1947. There was no standard previous to this ...

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

I see....thanks for that. They're currently looking for recommendations for an updated caighdeán from any interested parties...results will be interesting.

Advertisement