Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox live via o2 mobile broadband

Options
  • 08-06-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hey,

I have a laptop. a network adaptor, xbl subscription and 02 mobile broadband. I can set xbox live up staight from my laptop with an ethernet cable but I would like to do it thru the wireless network adaptor. Is this possible or do I need a router?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

persie11 wrote: »
    Hey,

I have a laptop. a network adaptor, xbl subscription and 02 mobile broadband. I can set xbox live up staight from my laptop with an ethernet cable but I would like to do it thru the wireless network adaptor. Is this possible or do I need a router?

Thanks

First off, I hope you're not planning on doing any gaming with the O2 mobile broadband. Any mobile broadband solution suffers from high pings which will result in terrible lag. It's very poor for low-latency operations like gaming.

For no-cable operation you need a wireless adapter on the laptop and a wireless adapter for the xbox 360. Then create a wireless network and ensure your console can connect to it. Finally, share your O2 connection with the Wireless Adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭persie11

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

As regards using the mobile broadband dongle for gaming, i have been using it for the last year & have had no major problems. On CoD world at war jt runs smooth but on FIFA 10 it can be bad. Its my wife's dongle and she pays that bill so no complaints!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭naughto

i use the 02 broadband for xbox live and vert rearly have any problems.your better of to get a ethernal cable and share the bband connection throught the laptop .the connection is a lot better with the cable well it is for me any way than it is throught wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Can someone bump a link on how to set this up?

I have connect the dongle to the laptop, setup ICS on the mobile connection with the LAN connection but still no luck

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭persie11

neacy69 wrote: »

I have connect the dongle to the laptop, setup ICS on the mobile connection with the LAN connection but still no luck

I dont know any link but I'm pretty sure you'll find something on YouTube.
    Sounds like your going about it the right way, could be the IP settings in the xbox setting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭naughto

you need to share you internet connection as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

I use 3 mobile broadband and it connects directly to the 360 - no adaptors required and straight forward to set up. Doesn't really lag either which is surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭siblers

bubbleking wrote: »
    I use 3 mobile broadband and it connects directly to the 360 - no adaptors required and straight forward to set up. Doesn't really lag either which is surprising

Same, just have an ethernet cable going into the wireless router. Works away the same as when I had eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

siblers wrote: »
    Same, just have an ethernet cable going into the wireless router. Works away the same as when I had eircom

I dont have a router....i only have a wireless dongle...

So I set up ICS on the mobile connection in network and sharing center, Connected the laptop to the xbox and had no luck.
    If I assign IP's manually to the xbox and the laptop then it will go a step further but then tell me that it cant resolve the DNS.
    I have tried setting the DNS in the xbox to the laptop, opendns and leaving them blank but still no luck...

Anyone have this issue before? (i tried disconnect/reconnecting the mobile service)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Shred

neacy69 wrote: »

Have a look at the link in this post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63514140&postcount=5

• Advertisement
Advertisement