Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Services for alcoholic aunt

Options
  • 08-06-2010 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

my aunt, my sisters mother, has been an alcoholic for i don't know how long, she seemed to keep going some how but recently she was found drunk in the street by the police and her brother had to come get her, her friend had died and shes been upset and a bit worse then she has been for years, my mother would keep in contact with her on an irregular basis, although she said she says she never seen her with a drink in her hand, but my mother is very a nervous women a worrier, she doesn't even like traveling across town on public transport to visit her, i don't think she can really look after her sister constantly as she seem to need at the moment my parents have now spent thousands refurbishing her flat and giving her money which she must spend most on cigarettes and drink, although she did pay some of her bills, they have been trying to get her to go to doctor etc, and she says she did then turns out today she didn't, im not sure that they've really tackled her about her drinking, and I actually don't think they should unless they're willing to visit her at least once a week to keep on eye on her, i was wondering if there were any other services, whether voluntary or state that could help out help by checking in on her and making sure she was looking after herself at least?

she's about 55 and and lives in dublin city south

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hi,

Your sister's mother is surely your own mother too (and not your aunt)? It doesn't matter what relationship she has to you. She seems to be brushing it under the carpet - i.e. ignoring the problem. It will surely catch up with her someday before she realises it's too late.

If she unwilling to go to a doctor currently, then be persistent about it. You could also say that you'll do something for her if she goes (like go out to some place she loves for a day?). Also, refer her to ALANON, which provide a 12-step programme to recover from addictions.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mazcon

Kevster wrote: »
    Hi,

Your sister's mother is surely your own mother too (and not your aunt)? It doesn't matter what relationship she has to you. She seems to be brushing it under the carpet - i.e. ignoring the problem. It will surely catch up with her someday before she realises it's too late.

If she unwilling to go to a doctor currently, then be persistent about it. You could also say that you'll do something for her if she goes (like go out to some place she loves for a day?). Also, refer her to ALANON, which provide a 12-step programme to recover from addictions.

Kevin

Alanon is the support group for families of alcoholics. For the Alcoholics themselves the support group is AA (Alcoholics Anonymous)

Advertisement