Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all mod's

Options
  • 08-06-2010 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Just tought it might be a good idea to make a few sub-forums in here as its looking a bit cluttered:pac:
    Something like the shooting forum.

game fishing
    Coarse fishing
    Sea fishing
    What yez think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Good idea - but I don't think the forums are active enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yeah, be great if the numbers using the forum necessitated splitting it but its prob grand the way it is for the amount of active users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

the forum should be split at least between freshwater and sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

the forum should be split at least between freshwater and sea.

I agree there should be a split between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

mmmmm what about if y'fish an estuary though? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

It would have the advantage that in each section the threads "go downwards into obscurity" a bit slower.
    But the forum isn't crazy busy either.
    Three main sections: game; coarse; sea; would be plenty.

well any response from those who hold the power?????

well any response from those who hold the power?????

Im not even sure we have active mods here any more? Haven't seen any in here for awhile. Any ideas? :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

SeaFields wrote: »
    Im not even sure we have active mods here any more? Haven't seen any in here for awhile. Any ideas? :confused:
    We have alright. But they govern with a light touch, seeing as we are such a well behaved bunch! :D
    Give it a little time ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Ah you see them on some rare occasions!

Nah I'm joking. Generally people don't act the maggot here. But to be honest the forums here aren't too busy.

After hours on the other hand :P

• Advertisement

what's happening about this....personally i couldnt give a monkeys about sea fishing and would like to see the forum split......

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Im not sure there is much of a mod presence here but I think a split would be good, as someone else said it would save a lot of posts from getting lost. Who are the mods and someone should PM them id say.

Just bumping this back up to first page for mods to see. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I would do it if someone was to make me an angling forum mod.... hint hint:p

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

I would like to se the split too - or should I say classification as I'm sure most of us will check out all categories. I think there is enough traffic to put a bit of order on it. Classification would also make it easier for newcomers to find topics they are interested in. Game, course & sea. There would be some iffy classifications I know eg estuary fishing as mentioned or pike fishing (with fly even). Maybe leave a general section as in shooting forum for more general topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

^^^^^^^^ What J.Ramone said:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Hey guys,

apologies for coming back so late on this one - accident involving a long ladder, a concrete path & a very breakable shoulder !! - you get the drift :D

Anyway, I can now type one fingered again, so want to get the ball rolling on this one. I'm delighted that the forum really seems to be picking up - lots of new members & plenty of postings - its a testament to the groundwork the JD did before me as mod.

I'm in agreement to split the forum, but we need to make sure we get the balance right as there have been some good forums killed on here over the years by too much messing around.

At the moment, even if the topic is not in your field, we are still getting some useful advice being given & I'd hate to lose that cross discipline posting, on the other hand, the list of active threads is getting longer.

There have been lots of suggestions thrown in, ie fresh/salt etc etc, so what I'm going to do is ask for a list of potential categories from you all & then II'll open a thread for debate - it wont be an overnight split, but I'd hope to get it sorted in the next couple of weeks.

if you can just throw your ideas in to the hat, I'll collate them & then say next week, open it up for discussion, hopefully we can reach a consensus & go from there.

if anyone wants to pm offline, feel free.

cheers

Andi

Andi
    great to see things moving in the right direction... i think keep it simple is the best bet for now just 3 sub categories (sub-threads) under the angling thread banner..that way people can jump from one to another easily....there might be scope for keeping the sticky's separate from ordinary posts??

to start three categories....
    Coarse
    Game
    Sea

i would not worry about things like estuary fishing or fly-fishing for pike....it relates to the species you are after whether it be a pike salmon or cod it matters little how or where they are caught

Thanks for getting things moving Andip.

There is the obvious classification sea/ game/ coarse Ironbluedun described but I'll throw a different angle on it just to get people thinking.

We could keep the main forum for all discussion related to angling but from the perspective of those that are in the know. Two sub forums then for the "Im totally new to fishing" and "Where do i go fishing in Cork/ Galway / Iraq."

Keep the ideas coming tho lads as the more the better and the best chance we'll get it right. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Yeah I think Game/Course/Sea is fine but i think having a sub-forum for beginner fishermen would be a great idea and would coax beginners like me to ask more questions. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Yea i agree with the lads. Something like the hunting forum. Angling
    then sub forums of Sea/course/game

BUMP....again.

bump as right......keep bouncing.

bump as right......keep bouncing.

Is it worth going to the help desk with the issue?

This thread has been about since the start of June and it is the busiest time of the year for the forum.

Is it worth going to the help desk with the issue?

This thread has been about since the start of June and it is the busiest time of the year for the forum.
    What's the issue?

What's the issue?

Its proposed that the forum be split. More than likely into game, sea, coarse but there hasn't been any movement on it now for quite awhile. It being the busiest time of the year for the forum means the benefits of splitting into various section is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Still waiting to hear if i will be joining Andip as an Angling forum God.... i mean Mod;)
    Been flat out fly fishing this summer, its great

Bitemybanger has put in a request for the three classifications which is great.

Just occurred to me awhile ago tho would a restricted access forum to discuss how certain areas/ rivers are fishing be a runner too? Something to consider for next season maybe.

Bitemybanger has put in a request for the three classifications which is great.

Just occurred to me awhile ago tho would a restricted access forum to discuss how certain areas/ rivers are fishing be a runner too? Something to consider for next season maybe.
    Yeah, a restricted access forum would be great. Whatever keeps poachers away! But how exactly would that stop them, all they would need to do is make a boards account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Lads
    would love to see this forum split into the three sub forums mentioned for a start.
    might I suggest a fly fishing sub forum also, have recently become addicted!

Advertisement