Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby is 7wks, milk still coming & period hasn't returned, could I be pregnant?

Options
  • 08-06-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Am at the end of my tether! My daughter is only 7 wks old, had a c-section, my period hasn't returned and even though I've never breastfed her I am still leaking milk. Stupidly hubby and i recently did the deed completely forgetting about contraception and I'm wondering now what are the chances of our having conceived? Feel like such an idiot for not thinking of contraception but was waiting for my period to return to go back on the pill.

Am hoping that the milk still coming means I haven't ovulated yet, does anyone know if this is the case. Help!:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Afaik you are super fertile for the period directly following birth, same as after a miscarriage.. My friend miscarried in January and she's now expecting.. her scans show that she conceived literally within days of her D&C..

Maybe a trip to the GP would be best.

Best of luck, hope it turns out the way you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Period can take up to 12 weeks to return even if you don't breastfeed at all but yes, there is a chance you may be pregnant. Friend of mine gave birth to twins by c-section, and was pregnant again by her 6 week post-partum appointment! Not exactly planned... Wait two weeks from when you had sex and do a test, and if negative and you still feel there is a chance, do a test again after 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

How did this go?

This scenario is more common than I thought... my mum fell pregnant with me when my brother was 6 weeks old...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Irish Twins eh? :D

While there is a chance you could be pregnant, those symptoms are not unheard of 7 weeks post-birth.

My partner gave birth in January, and her period still isn't back to normal yet. And it did take probably a good 7-8 weeks before it sort of returned.

Also, I think she was still producing small amounts of milk for 8 or 9 weeks.

Best to go have it checked out anyway, so you know for definite. But your symptoms are really no indication of whats going on in there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

!!! wrote: »
    How did this go?

This scenario is more common than I thought... my mum fell pregnant with me when my brother was 6 weeks old...

11 months between two of my kids....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

I b/f and had period 4 wks post delivery, so it does not always offer protection against pregnancy, people bodies are different.

Advertisement