Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spam Texts From Meteor

Options
  • 08-06-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Hi. Has anyone had problems with text spam and if so, would you know who to contact about this?

I have a Meteor mobile phone. I have had it for about four years. The plan I am on is brilliant - about 50% cheaper than any of their current plans.

I think that is where the problem lies, because every week, sometimes twice a week, Meteor sends me a notice or two about their 'new price plans'.

Every text has 'reply with STOP to 50003 to opt out', which I have done about a dozen times now. In fact this phone I have had I rarely use for text - I use it to ring mates in America and top it up when needed to do so.

Right now all of the text message inbox is full of meteor spam and a dozen confirmation messages saying 'your reply was received, we will update your contact details'. The sent items is a list of a couple dozen texts of STOP to 50003.

I rang Meteor about this very issue twice. The first time I was told I could disable this via the website. I went to the My Meteor website to find it was disable - contact me via text was UNCHECKED. I rang them again a week later when the next text came through and the lady I spoke with told me she would 'have tech support look into it'. That was last week.

Sure it's not the end of the world, but its a matter of principle now. I just want the texts to stop.

Any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

write a letter, mark it as an official complaint, send it to them by registered post and request response and resolution as soon as possible.

i find it hard to believe your whole message inbox is being so effected by 2 sms a week so i'd try to avoid exaggeration on your letter. do give as much detail as possible about times you've contacted them by phone / text / email to get this resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I had the same problem. They would not sort out the problem over the phone. No way José.

Your best bet is a registered letter and tell them you will inform the Data Protection Commissioner if they don't stop the texts.

Advertisement