Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Killarney Cycle

Options
  • 08-06-2010 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi, not sure if this is the correct thread. I am thinking of doing a cycle from Dublin - Killarney with a few buddies of mine. Not many of us are into cycling but we would have a reasonalbe level of fitness from rugby, soccer GAA etc. two of the guys do triathlon.

Anyway we will problably be going down on a mix of MTBs and Hybrids. We have heard about a route (probably not a BIG secret) that takes you along the canals and waterways. Heading out west to Athlone area and dropping south to Limereick. I believe there is a ferry over to Tarbert and then a cycle into Killarney. I think Daire O'Brien did an episiode (3 men and a boat on it).

My Questions:

Has anyone done/ know anything about this route?
    Will MTBs/Hybrids/Racers be suitable?
    What kind of time will it take us to get down bearing in mind we will be taking it easy? 3-4 days?
    Any advice, hints tips etc are very much welcomed.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

BUMP....One last chance...Anyone any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You could cycle along the Grand Canal. I plan to do this myself in the very near future. Thread about it here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055933755

You can also go by the Royal Canal as Trojan did. Dont have the thread but here are his photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alrocket/sets/72157607265926307/

Canal Info:
    http://www.iwai.ie/nav/grandcanal.html

General Cycle Touring Thread:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055894370

Recent Rack and Pannier thread:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055933385

My tip would be to drive (or get the train*) to Killarney, rent a house and spend the 3 or 4 days down there cycling, Kerry has a lot to offer. That way you are not lugging around crap the whole time. You have a base to start from each day. Though you might lose motivation to cycle and just spend the whole time getting drunk or lounging around. Where as an A to B type cycle might keep you in check. Each type of holiday has its merits. I wouldn't like to cycle to Killarney without having a proper rack and panniers. And with people on many different types of bikes there could be a speed differential problem. But in saying that, balls up are half the fun on these sorts of adventures. There'd be nothing to talk about if it all went smoothly.

*There's loads of room on the Dublin to Cork train for bikes. When you change at Mallow there is only room for 2 bikes to Killarney. Though you might sweet talk them into letting on more. Or you could sneak the bikes on before anyone notices and just promise not to do it again if they catch you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

• Bring something for friction burns, aloe vera moisturiser for example
    • Make sure your saddle is high enough
    • Try not to use cotton tee's as they will soak with sweat
    • Back packs can be a no no so use panniers if possible (see pt 1 and 3)
    • Use this or a similar site to plot your route, check the gradients and plan your distances
    • Bring plenty of high energy foods, bananas, cereal bars, nuts etc but make sure ye eat balanced (get protean and carbs)
    • Water, make sure you have water (a good and cheap energy drink is 1ltr water+ a sachet of salt+ a table spoon of sugar, flavour with a small amount of OJ concentrate)
    • Enjoy yourselves and post up with report and photos:D

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Thanks Guys, some really good info.

I think the ring of Kerry is seperate trip altogether. We love the idea of cycling such a long distance and such a unique route.

How strick are they with the bikes in Killarney? I am sure this would be an argument on Every train!

Potsy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

potsy11 wrote: »
    How strick are they with the bikes in Killarney? I am sure this would be an argument on Every train!

It depends on the type of train. On the big intercity trains (E.g. Cork - Dublin) there is usually a Guards van and you can just pile them in.

The Tralee-Mallow trains I was on had a section of seats removed and a replaced with a rack for 2 bikes. As with everything in Ireland, it would depend who is on duty, what mood their in and if they notice as to whether you'd get more than 2 bikes on.

Also on the smaller trains its first come first served, so two people with bikes might get on at Tralee and then when you try to get on at Killarney there will be no room. I went to Farranfore station and the fella at the train station was sound enough to ring the train and ask was there room for my bike, without me prompting him to do so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement