Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Connectivity Over Wifi

Options
  • 08-06-2010 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

Right so i have a windows 7 64x laptop and a windows 7 32x desktop...my desktop FJS Scaleo P struggles to connect to my 3 Mifi Modem while the laptop has no problems...

i keep using the windows trouble shooter but it doesnt solve it all the time. it keeps saying the connectivity between the modem and the pc are broken.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Wnidows Troubleshooter is useless, I wouldnt even bother using it. Sounds like there is either a problem with the Wifi hardware / software on your PC or else the desktop is no close enough to get signal... Describe physically where the devices are, relative to each other, and how many walls are between them.
    desktop FJS Scaleo P struggles
    And what do you mean struggles? connects sometimes, has never connected .. ???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

well its 2 meters away from the wifi modem. no walls

well last night when i wrote that i could go on the internet on my laptop and couldn't on the desktop.

the pc showed that it was connected and had internet access but once going to the webpage its a no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Go to:

Network & Sharing Centre > Change Adapter Settings

Right click on your wireless adapter and click on properties

Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click properties.

Under the general tab mack sure that you have the Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically boxes checked, Just make sure that there is no data in the address, subnet mask, gateway & server fields, if there is then highlight the fields and delete the information.

all of it wasn't touched before ;S and all the fields are empty and IP and DNS are set to auto obtain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

the pc showed that it was connected and had internet access but once going to the webpage its a no go.
    Okay well assuming then that wireless connectivity has been established, you need to make sure that you have been given a proper IP address... Go to Start | Run | "cmd" to run the command prompt.. Then type IPCONFIG /ALL and post the results here..

If it's two meters away why dont you just an Ethernet cable :confused: Stability and all that??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Could it be something simpler, has the Mifi been set up to only allow a maximum number of devices to connect at the same time, in this case, maybe 1 device. It's in your settings.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Could it be something simpler, has the Mifi been set up to only allow a maximum number of devices to connect at the same time, in this case, maybe 1 device. It's in your settings.

well its been always set to 5...i moved it down to 3 today...theres only every 2 pc's on it max and i go on my phone sometimes

Advertisement