Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Device for collecting rainwater for plants

Options
  • 08-06-2010 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

Its been absolutely lashing today and the plants in my back garden are really soaked :) But a lot of the water was wasted into the ground-are there devices you can buy from garden centres that trap the water in a barrel or container for later use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well yes, but you need a supply of water coming off a roof so you can direct the water into a container. I have just put guttering on a garden shed for that purpose (I didn't get the barrel yet though so the water is still going into the ground :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Waterbutt is what yer looking for -
    http://www.wormery.ie/waterbutts.htm

but I'm sure they are in most large homecare/DiY places as well as garden centres

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i installed one yesterday. 100l model, it was installed at 11am and full by 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

hello932 wrote: »
    Its been absolutely lashing today and the plants in my back garden are really soaked :) But a lot of the water was wasted into the ground-are there devices you can buy from garden centres that trap the water in a barrel or container for later use?

Have you tried using an open top bin/plastic barrel? You'd be surprised just how much rain they collect. If you have outbuildings you could consider rain butts, but capacity tends to be very limited, and personally not sure if the gain is woirth the expense over a simple barrel etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

i installed one yesterday. 100l model, it was installed at 11am and full by 4pm.

Is this just a basic barrel model? to be honest i would rather have a basic container in the garden that just sits there by itself and collects water. I dont wont to have to add extra piping to the roof/or my house-currently occupied with water/toilet pipes :pac: I assume that a basic barrel model is just that yes-a open receptacle for water with no external pipes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Hi, Dublin City Council sell water butts for €40 complete with tap & all the connectors needed. It doesn't matter where you are from they will sell them to you once you can collect. I fitted mine a month ago and am delighted with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hello932 wrote: »
    Is this just a basic barrel model? to be honest i would rather have a basic container in the garden that just sits there by itself and collects water. I dont wont to have to add extra piping to the roof/or my house-currently occupied with water/toilet pipes :pac: I assume that a basic barrel model is just that yes-a open receptacle for water with no external pipes?
    with the one i got, you have to install a diverter to your down pipe to catch the run-off from the gutters - it comes with a 500mm long pipe, so it has to stand close to an existing downpipe.
    it's one of these:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7202272/Trail/searchtext%3EWATER+BUTT.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

magicbastarder, do you have to drill any holes in the pipes with that?

you have to cut the pipe clean through.

Are there any water butts that don't require drilling or cutting any of the existing pipes? My landlord wasn't exactly thrilled when I mentioned the idea...

• Advertisement

if you have downpipes that reach the ground, i think you're out of options - you need a way to divert water out of the pipe in such a way that it enters at the top of the butt.

There is a part of the roof higher than the rest. It was built to accommodate windows in the first floor/attic bedrooms and bathroom instead of velux. Its gutter has no pipe down so the water runs free onto the original roof which has its own gutter and pipes reaching the ground. So I suppose I could try to collect that water and run it down a hose or something similar into the water butt. Any ideas how or better suggestions?

Also, what happens when the butt fills up? Is there a sort of bypass or is it just like a big bucket with a tap at the bottom?

Sorry for "hijacking" the thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

inigo wrote: »
    There is a part of the roof higher than the rest. It was built to accommodate windows in the first floor/attic bedrooms and bathroom instead of velux. Its gutter has no pipe down so the water runs free onto the original roof which has its own gutter and pipes reaching the ground. So I suppose I could try to collect that water and run it down a hose or something similar into the water butt. Any ideas how or better suggestions?

Also, what happens when the butt fills up? Is there a sort of bypass or is it just like a big bucket with a tap at the bottom?

Sorry for "hijacking" the thread!!
    i have the same question, what happens when the butt fill up, where does the rain then go, is there a diverter to take it back downpipe

with the diverter i used, which is the one requiring the pipe to be sawn, it uses a doughnut shaped 'basin' - i.e. with a hole in the middle. the water collects in the basin, and runs down a small pipe into the water butt. this diverter is positioned lower than the top of the water butt, but higher than the inlet of the pipe into it; so when the water level reaches the level of the diverter, the 'basin' fills and overflows inside the downpipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

A meter squared of roof will collect (in an average Irish year) 1000 ltrs of water. The handiest of all collectors are IBC's. These are 1000 ltr containers, on a plastic pallet surrounded by a tubular cage. There is a 1" outlet at the botom with a large opening on top to allow you to fill it. They can be bough from most good hardware/farmers co-ops for around €50-€80. Hope this helps.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

X1R wrote: »
    A meter squared of roof will collect (in an average Irish year) 1000 ltrs of water. The handiest of all collectors are IBC's. These are 1000 ltr containers, on a plastic pallet surrounded by a tubular cage. There is a 1" outlet at the botom with a large opening on top to allow you to fill it. They can be bough from most good hardware/farmers co-ops for around €50-€80. Hope this helps.....;)
    that is one brilliant idea, will be looking it up thank you

Advertisement