Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love as a Redemptive Force

Options
  • 07-06-2010 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Anyone able to tell me what the main points are for this??
    Not looking for an essay to learn off or anything, just the major points as I'm kind of lost with this question!:confused:

Also around how many quotes are people learning off?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

I have no idea what that question means! Was that one of the questions for The Single Text in your Pre Paper?

Hmmm... Quotes, trying to learn a good few for KL but not so many for Comparitive. I have yet to start Poetry!

How ye all set?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

ozzz wrote: »
    I have no idea what that question means! Was that one of the questions for The Single Text in your Pre Paper?

Hmmm... Quotes, trying to learn a good few for KL but not so many for Comparitive. I have yet to start Poetry!

How ye all set?

Yeah it came up in mocks but I did the other question!!!
    I know the quotes are driving me crazy, i'm only learning around 10 for comparative as you can get an A1 in a comparative Q without any!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

ozzz wrote: »

How ye all set?
    Redemptive force just means antidote.

So, the Q readjusted, Explain how Cordelia and Edgar help their fathers to purge themselves of their hubris.

I haven't looked at the Q but I'd do paragraph 1: explain Lear's faults. 2: Storm scene, rehabilitating himself. Now he's ready for his meeting with Cordelia. 3: Meeting with Cordelia. She treats him like a King, calling him sir etc. He dies a happy man because she forgave him... 4+5 same thing with Gloucester.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Someone is sending me this stuff... I hope!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Cordelia's love is the redemptive force which saves Lear from insanity, and at one point in the play it seems that we will yet have a happy ending ... where all will "live /And pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh".

There is a double-edge to this sword though ... Cordelia dies despite her goodness and integrity, underlining the moral that hubris in any man will be punished, and the more severely in a king.

And so Lear is left to cry: "Howl, howl, howl, howl! O, you are men /of stones!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 LNags

i posted this on a diff thread but ill put it here too...

“In the play King Lear, Shakespeare dramatically presents us with a world in which the powerful forces of evil are overcome by the redemptive forces of love.”
    Discuss...suitable reference
    Should address love as a redemptive force in the play, i.e. love in the context of its redemptive power or capacity to save a number of protagonists (from themselves or from others).
    Answers will be flawed if students dwell too much on narrative or character sketches.

Powerful forces of evil:
    · Goneril and Regan’s coldness and calculation, stripping Lear of his retinue; the stocking of Kent and the blinding of Gloucester
    · Edmund’s deceiving of his father, his charm and hunger for power,his manipulation of Goneril and Regan
    · Lear’s banishment of Cordelia
    · The storm scene symbolising moral disorder
    Redemptive forces of good
    · Lear, initially unrepentant but when cast adrift in the storm he begins to recognise his personal wrongdoings and repents his neglect.
    · Kent shows his love and loyalty for the King. His whole motivation in the play is the protection and salvation of Lear.
    · Gloucester displays his love and loyalty for Lear by offering shelter.
    · Cordelia has never stopped loving Lear. She embodies a selfless filial love and an everlasting devotion to a parent who has wronged her.
    · Cordelia’s love restores Lear’s sanity as well as bringing him happiness once again in Dover; Lear finds forgiveness and final peace. Lear has been redeemed through the love of his daughter

Plan
    Opening paragraph: Introduce concept of redemption and acknowledge that forces of evil are very strong in the play
    Par 2: Lear/Cordelia; Lear’s transformation
    Par 3: Cordelia’s love for Lear – ending redemptive
    Par 4: Edmund/Edgar Gloucester – subplot; Edmund as ‘evil’
    Par 5: Edgar as a redemptive character
    Par 6: Kent/Goneril and Regan
    Answer
    While I fundamentally agree with the proposition that in the play King Lear Shakespeare presents us with a world where the powerful forces of evil are overcome by the redemptive forces of love, it is by no means, a resounding victory. In saying this I mean that the forces of evil in this play are very powerful indeed. In my opinion the evil characters are more memorable as their capacity for villainy fascinates. We never get clarity on why Edmund is so cruel and why Goneril and Regan humiliate their father as much as they do. In many ways the central question of the play, “Is there any cause in nature that/ makes these hard hearts?” remains unanswered.
    It is the conclusion of the drama, when Edgar is named King by Albany that we can say the redemptive forces of love have triumphed. However we need to trace some key relationships to see the redemption that takes place. The central relationship where we see this is the one between Lear and his youngest daughter Cordelia. Lear’s asking the fatal question “Which of you shall we say doth love us most” and Cordelia’s refusal to take part in the charade of the love test is central to the plot of King Lear. Lear banishes Cordelia after first humiliating her in court and in so doing breaks the natural bonds of parent and child. Lear’s arrogance and rage blind him to the truth of the situation. He remains untouched by Cordelia’s honesty, sincerity and love. At this point in the play there is no redemption. Lear must first suffer before he is ready and able to be healed.
    The next time Lear and Cordelia meet Lear is a very different man indeed. He has suffered physically and emotionally and is a broken man. Now he is ready to accept the love of Cordelia and be healed. In what is perhaps one of the most moving scenes of Shakespeare’s tragedies, Lear’s ‘burning shame’ and regret show how he has changed as a character. He kneels and begs forgiveness. His grief at her death is moving, “Howl, howl, howl...” At this stage in the play Cordelia symbolises absolute goodness and love. She has made the ultimate sacrifice. Her death at the end of the play makes her a martyr, a powerful force of redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pauricg5

where can i view the full answer?

Advertisement