Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

outside room on campervan

Options
  • 07-06-2010 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi wondering if anyone has an outside room on their campervan.....

was thinking about it for our '91 hymer......what are the good and bad points on this.....would appreciate any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

If you already have a wind out awning then you have the option to add a safari room/privacy room. Both Fiamma and Omnistor make them to suit the different length awnings.
    Other option is to get yourself a drive away awning. See here for an example.
    The drive away awning does exactly what it says, allows you to leave it in place and go exploring.
    The Safari/Privacy room is great but does take up some storage space.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭clionaricho

Well we have got one called a Safari room, the big advantage of it is extra space, somewhere warmer to sit than outside and less midges to bite you. Our one is the zip on type which we bought last year as our last roll out awning took flight last summer. So the insurance replace the awning and we added the zip on room.

THe diasadvantages are also quite a few, firstly they are very heavy and you would need somewhere to store, it takes 2 people to put them up, although we have got it down to about 20 mins. THe other disadvantage is that if it is a sunny day you cant really roll up the sides so you cant sit outside your van unless you have space to go beyond the room which isnt always the case. Also bear in mind that if you take it down in the rain you need somehwere to dry it when you get home.
    I suppose the biggest dis advantage is that you cant drive away with it on so in this respect you only use it if you are setlled for a few days. I have seen the drive away ones and amn't sure that they arent a better idea really but have no idea how they compare price wise either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

i have one it came with the van,i have never used it,it takes up all the space in my top box i am strongly thinking of puting it in the garage at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

I have one too, it's been used once in three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

We always use ours !!!
    Its a great place to cook the food on our outdoor kitchen, we store all the kids shoes/balls/beach toys etc. We sit in there at night after putting the kids to bed.
    They are a great addition.
    They do take a while to put up though so in that respect not really worth it for a one or two night stay.

I always put ours up alone !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

link for installing the rooms http://www.johnscross.co.uk/pages.php?pageid=14

Advertisement