Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citizens outraged by Cellar Bar price scandel.

Options
  • 07-06-2010 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

WTF is the craic with the CEllar bar now charging 1 euro for a dash of Mi wadi in a pint of tap water.....i like the cellar, nice food and staff with comfortable chairs but one euro for a dash of mi wadi, they cant be serious, is this the only pace in galway that do this? I mean fair enough if people were coming in knocking back the orange goodness on its own, then i could understand but when your already getting food it seems a little much when you consider what they pay for it and how many dashes are in a bottle......i think i got charged in the kings head before but i didnt mind this as i wasnt getting food.

What do you think thebest value for money restraunts are in galway, finnegans and riordans are definitely up there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I, citizen of Galway, am outraged by this latest scandel on the poor people of Galway! Won't somebody think of the children?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Its only a feckin euro
    Trust me there are greater rip-offs in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Take to the streets! you could call it the "The Galway Orange march"

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

Kellys do that aswell for mi wadi. I was shocked aswell the first time. IT never happened to me again.

Usually i just buy the drink pay for it then ask for the mi wadi. Do not have to pay for the mixer.

Do you know what is even cheaper. Bring your drink.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055664794
    Thread I started about it ages ago... Got the usual pub people saying that it was fair to charge 1.20 even though I stated that I was the designated driver and the lads wouldn't be in the pub without me bringing them.

And Kings Head do charge 1.20... Was getting a vodka and a dash of white in there for somebody and couldn't believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Go to the same bar during race week. You'll know all about rip offs then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

"Citizens outraged by Cellar Bar price scandel." -

Haha, what? How are the citizens "outraged"? And how exactly is it a "scandel[sic]"? They have to pay for that Mi Wadi, just like they have to pay for everything else. I think €1 or more is a bit steep. The College Bar charge 40c for it, which I think is reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

If you're in there using their facilities then a euro is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

great trick... when they says its a euro. say no thanks and walk away. a euro is quite expensive for a diluted drink. When Im out i usualy am a DD and the pubs i regualry goto would kow this and the friends im with and more then often give me it for free.

I would never pay more then €0.70 for a diluted drink. You can buy the bottles in stores for €3 so for them it would eb cheaper and you can get atleast 10 pints from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If you don't like the price of something it's traditional to say "shove it up your hole" and walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I bring my own concentrated juice drink into the bar and only ask for tap water.I leave the bottle up on the bar.Sometimes the barman mistakes my bottle for his and here I politely interject-'Sorry old horse ,but I think you ll find thats MY Miwadi'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

How about restaurants charging extra for veg, spuds when you don't get ANY with your main course....just steak, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

ScumLord wrote: »
    If you don't like the price of something it's traditional to say "shove it up your hole" and walk away.

....or you could just walk away?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

dinneenp wrote: »
    How about restaurants charging extra for veg, spuds when you don't get ANY with your main course....just steak, nothing else.

Its an absolute disgrace, pubs charging people for drinks, restaurants charging people for food..........what will it be next, taxis charging people for giving them lifts?....its like an epidemic

Ring joe duffy before this rampant charging people for goods and services provided gets out of control

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

reggiews wrote: »
    WTF is the craic with the CEllar bar now charging 1 euro for a dash of Mi wadi in a pint of tap water.....i like the cellar, nice food and staff with comfortable chairs but one euro for a dash of mi wadi, they cant be serious, is this the only pace in galway that do this? I mean fair enough if people were coming in knocking back the orange goodness on its own, then i could understand but when your already getting food it seems a little much when you consider what they pay for it and how many dashes are in a bottle......i think i got charged in the kings head before but i didnt mind this as i wasnt getting food.

What do you think thebest value for money restraunts are in galway, finnegans and riordans are definitely up there

think thats bad?????

was charged €7.80 in a pub for a large bottle bulmers and a

GLASS :eek:

of Mi-wadi:mad:

€1.90 for a glass=€3.80 a pint FFS..

needless to say i didn't buy anymore of either-and i won't be back there again......

and i'm an alcoholic....so it really is THEIR loss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Citizens outraged by Cellar Bar price scandel.
    Using a misleading title like that, one that implies that you have some journalistic piece to show us or to back up your point makes it extremely likely that I'll take anything you say with quite a large pinch of salt.

You should know better than to drink tap water in town anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Obviously the OP is a student with zero knowledge of business costs.

Basically the OP want the pub to supply a clean glass, the miwadi concentrate, clean water (all businesses are charged heavily for tap water by councils), a comfortable seat, heating (or air con)

And he wants it FREE

WTF.

If you tried this in any bar anywhere else in the world you'd be told to eff off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,998 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Using a misleading title like that, one that implies that you have some journalistic piece to show us or to back up your point makes it extremely likely that I'll take anything you say with quite a large pinch of salt.

You should know better than to drink tap water in town anyway.

You sound like an outraged citizen if ever I saw one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

1 euro for a dash of Mi wadi in a pint of tap water....

how many dashes are in a bottle.
    DILUTE 1 PART MIWADI WITH 4 PARTS WATER
    so say 568ml in the glass to the brim is 113.6ml of miwadi per pint. They come in 1L bottles so 8.8 dashes per bottle. 1L in tesco is €1.79 so say 20cent per dash. So charging you 5 times the price, or a 80cent surcharge/profit.

This sounds like a very good deal to me, many bottles of beer can be got for under a euro these days yet they are €4.50-5.50 in most pubs I go to, so roughly 5 times the price too, but a hell of a lot more profit per drink. Coffee costs about 15-25cent per cup to make and is usually €2-3 in pubs. A pint of coke in my local costs €8.40.

This should be moved to bargain alerts!

91011 wrote: »
    Obviously the OP is a student with zero knowledge of business costs.

Basically the OP want the pub to supply a clean glass, the miwadi concentrate, clean water (all businesses are charged heavily for tap water by councils), a comfortable seat, heating (or air con)

And he wants it FREE

WTF.

If you tried this in any bar anywhere else in the world you'd be told to eff off.

pfffttt:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

rubadub wrote: »
    so say 568ml in the glass to the brim is 113.6ml of miwadi per pint. They come in 1L bottles so 8.8 dashes per bottle. 1L in tesco is €1.79 so say 20cent per dash. So charging you 5 times the price, or a 80cent surcharge/profit.

This sounds like a very good deal to me, many bottles of beer can be got for under a euro these days yet they are €4.50-5.50 in most pubs I go to, so roughly 5 times the price too, but a hell of a lot more profit per drink. Coffee costs about 15-25cent per cup to make and is usually €2-3 in pubs. A pint of coke in my local costs €8.40.

This should be moved to bargain alerts!

You forgot the cost of cleaning the glass, the wages for the barman, the cost of the water. The cost to the bar is much higher than 20c so it's even more of a bargain.

Stekelly wrote: »
    You forgot the cost of cleaning the glass, the wages for the barman, the cost of the water. The cost to the bar is much higher than 20c so it's even more of a bargain.

Bargain??

it should be FREE!!!---GRATIS----ZILCH!

FFS

you're forgetting the profit on food....

Publicans making it hand over fist for too long .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I totally agree.... It must be a Galway thing.

I got a taxi there last week and the guy charged me €3.20 to go 2 miles.

FFA last time I checked petrol is at most 20c per mile... That's 8 x the price. Insane.

(sarcasm)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

3DataModem wrote: »
    I totally agree.... It must be a Galway thing.

I got a taxi there last week and the guy charged me €3.20 to go 2 miles.

FFA last time I checked petrol is at most 20c per mile... That's 8 x the price. Insane.

(sarcasm)

I wrote into the papers before complaining about the price of a taxi from the G Hotel to town- something like a tenner.
    Basically they rip you off for a short journey I think. Pick up charge etc and it's something like a fiver before you start....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Citizens 's outraged?...so like the whole of Galway or Ireland?

I'm sorry I don't like being dragged into such a pointless "outrage", I honestly couldn't give a ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

thebullkf wrote: »
    it should be FREE!!!---GRATIS----ZILCH!

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a girl i know was charged €3.20 for a dash of lime in tap water because there was no soda water in q bar, dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

*Boardsies outraged by sensationalist thread title*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

a girl i know was charged €3.20 for a dash of lime in tap water because there was no soda water in q bar, dublin

So why did she pay it? Very foolish to fork out that amount of money (without even questioning the price).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

Krieg wrote: »
    Its only a feckin euro
    Trust me there are greater rip-offs in this country

Try explaining that to the Bar worker when you don't have EUR 1.00 in your pocket and see where it will get you.

If everyone had that attitude, prices would soar.

Advertisement