Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moving to Ireland with U.k car. Advice, info needed

Options
  • 07-06-2010 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Not sure if this the right place to post this, but noticed a few similar threads here while searching for info on the subject.
    So, I live in the U.K. I have owned a U.k car for over 6 months and intend to bring it with me when I move back to Ireland later this summer. I have tried getting information on how to proceed but am reading contradictory info from different forums, Irish tax websites etc.
    As I understand it I do Not have to pay VRT on my car as I have owned it for over 6 months. But do I still have to register it? How do I go about this and is there a fee?
    If I DO have to register it does that mean I will receive new Irish plates?
    Assuming all the above is true do I have to put the car through an NCT test immediately or wait until the U.K MOT expires? Same question regarding road tax. I have the insurance part figured out, I think.
    If anybody has any information it would be much appreciated. Even if anybody knows who I could contact to get more info.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Ya need to register it at the vro. Tax it and book an nct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 richardh

Thanks guil but do you know any more details than that, like if there's a fee to register, and how long I have to book an NCT test?
    Update: I just looked at the ros.ie website and it makes no mention of how long a person has owned the car, and calculates I would have to pay 500 euros VRT. But I've read elsewhere that if you've owned the car for over 6 months you're exempt from VRT. Anybody know which is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tax Relief on Transfer of Residence

Read it very carefully to be sure you will qualify for exemption.

Not your ornery onager

I finally found some information on the revenue.ie website. It seems that if you've owned the car for more than 6 months you can apply for tax relief on the Vrt. It doesn't actually say how much that tax relief is for or even what the procedure is: if you have to pay the VRT and then apply for tax relief and wait etc. Does anybody know anything about this?
    Edit: Thanks esel, just saw that you had posted link that I was referring to.

If you qualify, you pay nothing.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The only niggle is the speedo being mainly in MPH as we're KPH here. Shouldn't be much of an issue though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

richardh wrote: »
    Not sure if this the right place to post this, but noticed a few similar threads here while searching for info on the subject.
    So, I live in the U.K. I have owned a U.k car for over 6 months and intend to bring it with me when I move back to Ireland later this summer. I have tried getting information on how to proceed but am reading contradictory info from different forums, Irish tax websites etc.
    As I understand it I do Not have to pay VRT on my car as I have owned it for over 6 months. But do I still have to register it? How do I go about this and is there a fee?
    If I DO have to register it does that mean I will receive new Irish plates?
    Assuming all the above is true do I have to put the car through an NCT test immediately or wait until the U.K MOT expires? Same question regarding road tax. I have the insurance part figured out, I think.
    If anybody has any information it would be much appreciated. Even if anybody knows who I could contact to get more info.
    Thanks in advance.

If you exchange your Irish License for a UK one and use a proof of UK address (bank account with same address as on license), the revenue/gardai cannot seize your car. Always tell them you are visiting your relatives/friends anytime they ask. You'll still need to update your MOT and UK insurance, however. That way, you won't need to register it in Ireland.

Apparently, the road tax in Ireland is extortionate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

g32 wrote: »
    If you exchange your Irish License for a UK one and use a proof of UK address (bank account with same address as on license), the revenue/gardai cannot seize your car. Always tell them you are visiting your relatives/friends anytime they ask. You'll still need to update your MOT and UK insurance, however. That way, you won't need to register it in Ireland.

Op you are not liable to pay vrt anyway. What year is the car if its 2006 or lower youll need to nct it thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

to get the vrt examption you have to go to the vro office and get the yellow form for re-reg, and the green form for transfer of residency. it's the green form that you need for the exemption.

you will be given a list of things that you need to prove that you've owned the car and worked in the uk for 6 months previous, such as:
    utility bills, bank statements, tenancy/mortgage agreement, inland revenue documents.
    you also need things to prove that you've moved, which are the same as above, only in ireland. my only gripe is that some people move home without a job or accomodation sorted and just can't get things like that, but they'll deal with that when you go in.
    when you have that stuff all sorted out, give them a call and arrange an appointment to apply for the transfer. ask them to send you a letter proving that you have the appointment in case you are stopped. at the appointment you will be given a letter stating that you've applied for the transfer and revenue are dealing with it. you need to keep that in the car too.
    then a few weeks later, or 2 months in my case, you get a letter with your new registration number. get the plates made up and sort out your insurance. a few days later again you'll get the certificate of registration which you need to tax the car (along with your insurance policy number). then call the NCT if the car is over 4 years old to sort that out.

enjoy it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Please read the Charter, advocating illegal activities is against the Charter.

And that ignores the fact that the OP seems to be VRT exempt anyway... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Wouldn't the "JAYSUS BUD WHATS THE STARAI" give it away :D

Thanks everyone. It's all starting to make sense now.
    ballsymchugh, you say you've been through the same thing? Did you have to register the car as soon as you got to Ireland? It sounds like you're saying you waited a while in order to have an address sorted out etc.

i waited a couple of months first because i wasn't sure about staying at home. but apart from that, the vro office was a bit of a mess.
    the first time i went in i was given the 2 forms which i filled out and went back to them with. i was told then about the paperwork that i needed to sort out.
    the next time i went back with the paperwork i was told that i needed to book an appointment to go through it with someone.
    at the appointment i was told that because i didn't have an official address (i was staying with my sister at the time) it might be a bit tricky, so i had to write a note to the superior that i had moved and that i was resident in the country.
    the guy in the vro office spent more time making neat bundles out of what i brought in than going through them too, which drove me nuts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Sean O

If an exemption is granted You will be issued with form RF100 in order to pay road tax. The road tax must be paid within three working days. After the road tax has been paid you will automatically be issued with a vehicle licensing certificate from Shannon in Co Clare. Alternatively you can tax your motor vehicle online at www.motortax.ie using your pin. The pin on first importation will be the last six characrers of your chassis number. Unfortunately, the UK is not recognised and you will have to contact the NCT . Book on-line at www.ncts.ie or post to: NCTS ,
    Lakedrive 3026, Citywest Business Campus,
    Naas Road, Dublin 24.
    Please include your phone number (if available) on all written correspondence.
    Telephone Booking 1890 412 413
    Fax Booking (01) 4135982 - EMail bookings@nct.

Tax Relief on Transfer of Residence - VRT 3 Introduction
    This leaflet outlines the circumstances in which a person coming from abroad to take up residence in Ireland may obtain relief from tax in respect of a motor vehicle brought from abroad as his/her personal property. Tax means Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT). It also covers import charges (i.e. Customs duty and VAT) in the case of a transfer from outside the European Union.

Please note that both the Canary Islands and Channel Islands are outside the EU for VAT purposes. Motor vehicles imported from these territories are liable to VAT. In order to qualify for relief from VAT you must have had your normal residence outside the EU for a continuous period of at least 12 months prior to transfer. VAT relief is treated separately to VRT relief in the case of non-EU importations. For a full list of EU territories which are excluded from the EU for VAT purposes please see Appendix 1 of this leaflet.

In order to qualify for relief, certain requirements must be met in regard to:

residency, both here and abroad
    and
    the motor vehicle in respect of which relief is claimed.
    What are the Residency Requirements?
    For VRT purposes you must have had your normal residence as defined below, outside the State at the time of transfer. In the case of a transfer from outside the EU, you must have had your normal residence outside the EU for a continuous period of at least 12 months prior to transfer.

Normal Residence means:

the place where you usually lived, for at least 185 days in the year ending on the date of transfer, because of occupational and personal ties
    if you had no occupational ties, the place where you usually lived for at least 185 days in the year ending on the date of transfer, because of personal ties
    if your occupational ties were in a different country from your personal ties then the country of your personal ties is taken as your normal residence if you returned there regularly (i.e. for most of your non-working days).
    You do not qualify for relief from VRT
    if you went to live abroad primarily for the purpose of pursuing a course of studies
    if you were working abroad on a task of duration of less than one year and your personal ties remained in the State
    if you were working abroad on a task of duration of more than one year and you have been granted tax relief in respect of another vehicle in the previous 5 years.
    What are the requirements relating to the Motor Vehicle?
    The following requirements apply to the vehicle:

it must be your personal property
    it must have been acquired with all the appropriate local taxes paid and these must not have been exempted, or refunded in any way. (There are certain exceptions in the case of diplomats and members of international organisations recognised by the Department of Foreign Affairs. Details are outlined in a separate leaflet available at any Vehicle Registration Office (VRO). Regional VRO Contact Details.
    you must have had possession of and have actually used the vehicle outside the State for at least 6 months before your transfer to Ireland. In the case of relief from import charges, you must have used the vehicle at your former normal place of residence. Any possession and use in the State, even during times when you were living abroad, does not count
    you must bring the vehicle into the State within 12 months of the date of your transfer of residence.
    Is proof of residence required?
    Yes, you will be required to produce sufficient evidence to show that you have been living abroad for the required length of time. You will also be required to show that you are taking up residence in the State. The evidence required includes documents relating to:

the acquisition and disposal of property abroad and in the State (e.g. rent agreements, mortgage documents, rent/mortgage payments etc.)
    employment abroad and in the State (e.g. payslips, tax records, social welfare records etc.)
    other transactions carried out in the course of day to day living (bank statements/transaction documents, bills/receipts for electricity, phone, service charges and other day to day living expenses)
    travel records connected with trips into and out of the State
    other such evidence as requested in individual cases.
    Remember the onus is on you to prove that you were resident abroad for the stated period. If the necessary documentary evidence is not furnished, tax relief cannot be granted.

What evidence is required in respect of the Vehicle?
    You are required to prove that you had possession of and actually used the vehicle abroad for at least 6 months before transfer and that the appropriate local taxes have been paid and not refunded. This proof will usually consist of:

the vehicle registration document
    the certificate of insurance
    the sales invoice, receipt of purchase or other similar document
    evidence of the date on which the vehicle was brought into the State (e.g. sailing ticket)
    You may also be requested to produce other evidence (e.g. evidence of maintenance and use of the vehicle).

Are there restrictions on the sale or disposal of a Vehicle which has been granted Tax Relief?
    Yes. You may not sell, dispose of, hire out or lend the vehicle during the 12 months following the date of registration. If you do, the VRT (and Customs duty and VAT if appropriate) must be paid in full.

Where and when do I apply?
    If you are transferring residence from within the EU, you must present your application and the vehicle at your local VRO by the end of the next working day following the arrival of the vehicle in the State. If you are coming from outside the EU, you must lodge your application when importing the vehicle at the Customs Office at the point of arrival in the State.

What forms must I complete?
    You must complete the following forms:

Form C&E 1077 (PDF, 63KB) (on transfer from within the EU) or
    Form C&E 1076 (PDF, 71KB) (on transfer from outside the EU), and
    Form VRT 4 (PDF, 92KB) (motor vehicles) or VRT 5 (PDF, 75KB) (motor-cycles)
    These forms are available at all VROs and Customs Stations.

Can I appeal a refusal of my application?
    Yes. If you have sufficient grounds, you may appeal within two months of the date of the decision. A separate leaflet, VRT 6 - Appeal Procedures relating to Vehicle Registration Tax , sets out the VRT appeals procedure.

Where can I get further information?
    Further information and application forms are available from your local VRO. Regional VRO Contact Details.

Warning
    It is an offence to make a false declaration for the purpose of claiming relief from duties and taxes or to furnish false documentation in support of such a claim.

Note

This leaflet does not purport to be a legal interpretation or a comprehensive statement of the laws and regulations relating to tax relief on Transfer of Residence. These are contained in

the Finance Act 1992 (as amended) and Statutory Instrument No.59 of 1993 for VRT
    Statutory Instrument No. 183 of 1985 which gives effect to Council Directive 83/181 (EEC) for VAT
    Council Regulation (EEC) 918/83 for Customs duty.
    Appendix 1

EU Territories which are Excluded from the EU for VAT purposes

Channel Islands, Gibraltar, Andorra, San Marino. Canary Islands, Ceuta, Melilla (Spain).

Livigno, Campione d’Italia, Italian Waters of Lake Lugano (Italy).

French Overseas departments, i.e. Guadeloupe, Martinique, Reunion, St. Pierre and Miquelon and French Guiana.

Faroe Islands, Greenland (Denmark).

Island of Heligoland and Territory of Busingen (Germany).

Mount Athos (Greece).

That part of Cyprus over which the EU member does not exercise effective control.

November 2007

(Adobe Acrobat Reader PDF)

Exchange a Foreign Driving Licence for an Irish Licence
    You can exchange a foreign driving licence for an Irish Driving Licence, if your licence was issued by an approved country (see below).

You should exchange you licence if you have been living in Ireland for more than 12 months and plan to stay here for several years.

Exchange your Licence for an Irish Driving Licence
    To exchange your licence, follow these steps:

Step 1: Check the licence you want to exchange
    You can only exchange your licence if it was issued by one of the following:

European Union (EU): Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Germany,Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, United Kingdom, Austria,Sweden, Czech Republic, Lithuania, Cyprus, Malta, Estonia, Poland, Hungary, Slovak Republic, Latvia and Slovenia.
    European Economic Area (EEA): Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway.
    Other: Australia, Gibraltar, Isle of Man, Japan, Jersey, South Africa, South Korea, Switzerland.
    If you have a driving licence from your own country (or an international driving permit) but are not from any of the countries list, you are allowed to drive in Ireland for 1 year only.

If you intend to stay here for longer than 1 year, you need to apply for a full Irish driving licence.

Step 2: Complete the ‘Exchange of Driver’s Licence’ Application Form D900
    Download Application Form D900 (PDF 28Kb)
    Or contact us at the address below to request a copy
    Step 3: Complete the ‘Licence Renewal’ Application Form D401
    Application Form D401 is available from public libraries and Garda (Irish Police) Stations.

Alternatively contact us at the address below and we will send you form D401.

This form must be stamped at a Garda (Irish Police) Station.

Step 4: Complete the ‘Medical Report Form’ D501
    This document certifies that you are fit to drive.

Download a Medical Report Form D501 (PDF 482Kb)
    Íoslódáil Ceadúnas an Tuairisc Liachta D501 (PDF 269Kb)
    Or contact us at the address below to request a copy
    You only need to complete a Medical Report D501 if:

You are over 70 or will be 70 on the day your licence is issued.
    You answer ‘Yes’ to any of the medical questions on Application Form D201 below.
    You require a licence for a category of vehicle other than an ordinary car. View a list of all licence categories.
    To complete the form, make an appointment with a doctor. He/she will complete the form for you.

Step 5: Send all the information to us
    Send all the above information to us at the address below.

Please also send the following:

The Driving Licence you want to exchange (not a photocopy). Find out what to do if your Driving Licence has been lost or stolen.
    Your passport (not a photocopy).
    Two passport-type photos. These must also be signed by you on the back.
    A cheque (or postal order) for to pay for your licence. Make sure the cheque ispayable to ‘Dublin City Council’. Do not send us cash.
    3 year driving licence: €15
    10 year driving licence: €25.
    Note: If the Driving Licence you want to exchange is ‘out-of-date’, you first need to get a new licence (or a certificate of authenticity) from the Licensing Authority in your home country. Contact us at the address below for more details about this.

Step 6: We will send you your Irish Driving Licence
    You will receive your Irish Driving Licence by post within 5 working days.

For more information
    Dublin City Council
    Motor Tax Office
    Block B
    Blackhall Walk
    Queen Street
    Dublin 7

Opening hours 9.30am to 3.30pm. Monday to Friday.

Tel: (01) 222 2222
    Email: motortax@dublincity.ie

Rathfarnham Motor Tax Office
    Nutgrove Shopping Centre
    Rathfarnham
    Dublin 14

Clondalkin Motor Tax Office
    Unit 9B Ninth Lock Road
    Clondalkin
    Dublin 22

Ballymun Motor Tax Office
    Ballymun Civic Centre
    Main Street
    Ballymun
    Dublin 9

Or your local county Motor Taxation Office.

^ Our resident expert (at quoting....) :eek: :pac:

Not your ornery onager

new member showing off!!

it's excellent information and probably answers the OP's question pretty comprehensively, what more can you ask for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ERR!

Saw this thread and I am looking for advice on the other-way around. I have a car bought in Dublin and am moving over to the UK for 9 months to do a masters want to bring my car with me.... how much hassle is this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

-Chris- wrote: »
    it's excellent information and probably answers the OP's question pretty comprehensively, what more can you ask for?
    A link, rather than a copy and paste.

Not your ornery onager

Fair point! :D

• Advertisement

i waited a couple of months first because i wasn't sure about staying at home. but apart from that, the vro office was a bit of a mess.
    the first time i went in i was given the 2 forms which i filled out and went back to them with. i was told then about the paperwork that i needed to sort out.
    the next time i went back with the paperwork i was told that i needed to book an appointment to go through it with someone.
    at the appointment i was told that because i didn't have an official address (i was staying with my sister at the time) it might be a bit tricky, so i had to write a note to the superior that i had moved and that i was resident in the country.
    the guy in the vro office spent more time making neat bundles out of what i brought in than going through them too, which drove me nuts!!

That sounds more like the Ireland I remember :D
    Thanks again.

ERR! wrote: »
    Saw this thread and I am looking for advice on the other-way around. I have a car bought in Dublin and am moving over to the UK for 9 months to do a masters want to bring my car with me.... how much hassle is this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Much less hassle!

Just don't think you can buy a car over there and bring it back VRT-free, because being abroad for purposes of study does not count as being resident abroad in this regard.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement