Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Required?

Options
  • 06-06-2010 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello, I'm a 6th year student, about to sit the Leaving in a few days and I've put down the Computing - Information Technology course (BN104) on my CAO application and just have a question about Irish as an entry requirement.

On the site qualifax.ie I've read that the minimum requirements are two Higher C3s and 4 Ordinary D3s with Maths and English or Irish.
    However on the ITB main website I have read

"Results in Foundation Level Irish in the Leaving Certificate, or results in the Leaving Certificate Applied Programme do not satisfy these minimum entry requirements"

I am just wondering if anyone knows if I need to have a pass in Ordinary Level Irish or would Foundation Level suffice.

Thank you very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

I do the course you specified. I did ordinary Irish, so can't really help you there. If you have no exemption I am not sure what this mens for you.

Try mailing: info@itb.ie and someone may be able to help you. If not post back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Theuglybunny

Yeah I've sent an email on Saturday but haven't gotten a reply yet. Could be because it's the weekend though.

How is the course by the way? Are there many places? Also if you don't mind me asking, what kind of grades did you get in your LC?

Thanks for your reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I think it means that if you get 2 higher C's, and 4 Passes, but you only did foundation irish and failed english, then you can't get in. At least i think, my guess is that you've failed to show that you are capable of understanding the course as your communication subjects are of a low standard.

So no, Irish doesn't seem to be a requirement as long as you don't fail english, in which case you'll need to pass ordinary irish to compensate.

Thank you very much for your reply, I hadn't thought of it that way.
    I'm still waiting for an email back, if I don't receive a reply by tomorrow night I'll try give them a call.
    Also I'll post whatever answer I find.
    Thanks again everyone!

I have received replies from both ITB and DIT and it seems that Foundation Irish is completely fine as long as you take either Ordinary or Higher English alongside it (while meeting the other requirements, of course).

Terrific news to me :)

• Advertisement

Theuglybunny, you don't even need to sign up for 4 years.

Someone who signs up for BN002 (Level 6) or BN013 (Level 7) will be in the same class as BN104 for (I think) the first 2 years and maybe even the first 3 years.

Someone who signed up for the level 6 (BN002) can still stay for 4 years and finished with the level 8 honours degree, of course they would have had to pass all the years...

Also, remember the leaving cert is NOT AS IMPORTANT AS PEOPLE THINK!!!!
    If you don't do well in the leaving, just do a 1 year PLC and you will get:
    1. Get experience in a college environment
    2. See if you would enjoy the course before committing to the 4 years.

Your only 17/18/19 so your still very young!

Best of luck in the leaving cert, remember the leaving cert isn't everything...!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Theuglybunny, you don't even need to sign up for 4 years.

Someone who signs up for BN002 (Level 6) or BN013 (Level 7) will be in the same class as BN104 for (I think) the first 2 years and maybe even the first 3 years.

Someone who signed up for the level 6 (BN002) can still stay for 4 years and finished with the level 8 honours degree, of course they would have had to pass all the years...

Yup... I know people who did it cert by cert as opposed to just signing up for the 4 years straight... they went to 3 graduations XD

I'd deffinatly advise taking it one year at a time if your not to sure about the course. That way you can just battle through one year and leave with something even if you don't like it much. ;)

Advertisement