Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group therapy??

Options
  • 06-06-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys

I have been so so down the past few months (I've been depressed before and taken anti-ds etc.), i've been eating compulsively for a couple of days at a time and then lashing into the gym for 4 or 5 days and repeating the cycle, and i'm sick of myself and my low body image. I walk around looking at the floor because i think if i can't see people, they can't see how awful I am. I know that I have to do something to help myself get out of this hole, but I'm unemployed (and feel like I will be forever) so was going to give one of the group sessions a go, like Aware? I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on the above as I'm pretty daunted about going along fo rthe first time on my own etc.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Athene

I have exactly the same issues.

{Mod edit: Do not ask people to pm you}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Aware group therapy is actually very good. It's obviously going to be daunting going in there alone for your first time, but everybody there feels the same way as you so don't focus on that. When I get scared before therapy, I used to shake non-stop. So what I do is, I go into a bathroom and basically shake all over on purpose, it gets rid of the shakes. It worked for my little sister during her practical exams for the Leaving Cert too.

Ultimately, you need to focus on WHY you need to be there, not the fear. I know that's easier said than done, but it is possible. You just have to keep saying "Everyone feels the same as me, everyone is here alone, everyone needs help so nobody judges." I used to have REALLY low self esteem and eating "problems" so I understand feeling petrified about facing group therapy but it's really not that bad once you get past the initial nervousness of the first session :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

"I know why you choose to have you little Group Therapy sessions in broad daylight, I know why you dont go out at night"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Unhelpful and off-topic posting will get you banned from this forum.
    Do take time to read the charter which contains the rules and abide by them.
    Have a nice day.
    Thaedydal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes there are support groups and help for those who are struggling with an eating disorder.

http://www.bodywhys.ie/

• Advertisement
Advertisement