Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried

Options
  • 06-06-2010 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Im 13 weeks pregnant and very overweight. My BMI at my appointment was 37. I know its not advisable to loose weight during pregnancy (ive lost about 7lbs so far due to nausea) but can anyone advise me here about what is the best to do?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Exercise loads and eat healthy.
    Talk to your gp about losing weight as far as I know once it is down healthily while pregnant it is good if you are over weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭shell42970

A close friend of mine had her first baby a year ago at the age of 39. She is obese and, like you, was also concerned about how her weight would impact the pregnancy.

At the advice of her doula, she did not attempt to diet during the pregnancy. She did a lot of walking for exercise, and focused on the quality of the foods she was eating - consuming lots of fresh veg, low-fat meats, high fiber grains, and using fruit as snacks and treats, rather than the cakes, cookies, and other empty-calorie desserts she loved.

She delivered a full term, healthy, albeit small baby (5 pounds) vaginally, and with no intervention. At nearly a year old, her son is thriving. She is quite a bit leaner now, owing to her improved eating habits (and likely also to the fact that she nurses her son).

Your healthcare provider should have good tips for you on how best to manage your well-being with regards to your weight, your need for exercise (exercise will also help you labor more effectively when you deliver), and your developing child's needs.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, and good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mummys Tummy

the last thing you should do is stress about this when yourre pregnant but eat as healthily as you can, get out walking too. also pregnancy yoga great for giving you great stretch and tone and increasing your energy

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

i was slightly overweight (5kg too much) before I got pregnant :) and I always told my husband I need this extra skin for the baby... when I got pregnant (34 wks now) No strechmarks :) at all. Extra skin helped.

but do not overeat youreself. keep small portions but maybe few times a day.
    dont forget you will gain extra weight deuring next 9 months and its not from eating :) so take care of your spine. maybe go swimming 1-2 a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

i was a size 14-16 on my bottom and 12-14 up top before i got pregnant im now 32 weeks gone and have put on just over a stone in weight i go to hollis st and i am shocked at the doctor i have the displeasure of seeing on each visit he isnt want you would call healthy himself but tells me everytime that i have not to gain anymore weight in this my first pregnancy and that i should really be on a diet
    i find this really distressing and upsetting tbh i know i wasnt a skinny minny to begin with and i know i shouldnt but i did google and it says that on average a woman gains up to 2 stone when pregnant so i think im doing okay at the minute i dont have hip pains apart from when im sleeping my back is okay for the minute sore at times but nothing major and its been quite a good pregnancy i think up to now the only thing that stresses me out is this doctor
    my oh has said to tell him that at least i will be able to loose the weight but unfortunately he is always going to be that ugly :D

dont know if this helps the OP but was watching that male doctor from embarrassing illnesses and he was saying that BMI is irrelevant as most rugby players, footballers even himself would be classed as overweight if we go by that and that really its to do with the fat around your internal organs if your stomach is a 34 inch waist or below then your fine anything above you need to loose it as with most women i think its our hips that are the ruin of us as its them that pushes up the size of our bottom halves and not our bellies well it was for me anyway :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement