Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cheapish Champagne

Options
  • 06-06-2010 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah I know, the words 'cheap' 'and 'champagne' don't go together, but anyway. Can anyone suggest a reasonable champagne around the €35 mark? Moet is crap and Lanson (my favorite) is too dear. Has anyone tried the Lidl/Aldi/Tesco Finest champagne or can give me a few ideas? Don't want to go down the Cava route if I can help it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

This in the 2003 version was a cracker and was really nice te like of Jacobs creak came across as carbonated white wine in it's shade.

Made in the same method as Champagne

here is the blurd about it ...
    Nothing beats a glass of good fizz. Champagne is delicious of course - but what do we all drink more of here at HQ?

We must've tried every sparkler in the world, and for the price we can't find better than Cuvée du Président. It's only made in the best years, in the same way as top Champagne, with oak fermentation to add extra complexity and general 'wow factor'.

The result is pure class, and boasts press acclaim and a loyal following. Decanter magazine famously named it Sparkling Wine of the Month (same accolade as £160 Krug '96!) and the last vintage won THREE Gold medals. Watch this space for the 2005!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

This in the 2003 version was a cracker and was really nice te like of Jacobs creak came across as carbonated white wine in it's shade.

Made in the same method as Champagne

here is the blurd about it ...

Thanks. Any ideas where to find it? Can't find anything about it online for Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Confab wrote: »
    Thanks. Any ideas where to find it? Can't find anything about it online for Ireland!

Sorry ... I only know it from this site. They do ship to Ireland though.

I thought it was better than the Tescos Champers when people were saying that the Tescos stuff was better than some of the big names. I'd say if your needing to buy a lot of the stuff go around to Lidl, Aldi, Tescos, Dunnes etc and buy a bottle of each of their cheap stuff and do a taste comparison and you may find a good on in there.

Sorry ... I only know it from this site. They do ship to Ireland though.

I thought it was better than the Tescos Champers when people were saying that the Tescos stuff was better than some of the big names. I'd say if your needing to buy a lot of the stuff go around to Lidl, Aldi, Tescos, Dunnes etc and buy a bottle of each of their cheap stuff and do a taste comparison and you may find a good on in there.

I only need two bottles, but it's a private celebration (girlfriend home after a year in Australia) and they have to be good and not too expensive. I know for a fact that Moet is crap, Bollinger not much better and both are too expensive. I need it in the next few days so ordering abroad isn't an option. Anyway I've been looking at Oddbins and they have some good stuff, so I'm going to pop in and have a look tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 DeclanBrady

In World Wide Wines Waterford
    They are selling Louis Roeder For €35.00
    thats €13.80 cheaper than the rrp
    Hunters Miru Miru from New Zealand is amazing and retails for about €26.00
    its better than vintage Veuve Cliquot

• Advertisement

Thanks but Waterford is a bit far to travel for a bottle of bubbly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Confab wrote: »
    Thanks but Waterford is a bit far to travel for a bottle of bubbly.
    Does it have to be from champagne? you'll get a much nicer cava or non french bubbly for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sourgrapes

Delamotte Champagne is the real deal and available for around €35 after a discount from the Corkscrew Dublin.

Really good drop.

Tell them Lar from sourgrapes.ie sent you.

If you want to tie in with an Australian theme, then try a Pirie from Tasmania - in terms of quality, it is suberb - brilliant flavours and texture. See my review here.

Any other questions, drop me a line

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

And then there's the Lallier Champagne, which received the joint highest score (17.5 / 20) from Jancis Robinson in a blind tasting of 64 Champagnes. Although whether your willing to travel to Cork for one bottle is another matter :D

Advertisement