Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crows stealing eggs

Options
  • 06-06-2010 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

We've a few hens with a little shed for them with a normal door on it. Lately crows and magpies have been in stealing the eggs, we then closed the door enough so that the hens could only walk in and out. Now the eggs just have holes punched in them instead of being stolen.

Short of buying a gun is there any other way to get the crows to leave the eggs be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Cut a slot in the door for the hens to go in and out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

ye the fookers are after taking the eggs our duck was hatching - I HATE CROWS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Larsen traps for the magpies.

What type of crow is going in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

oztots wrote: »
    We've a few hens with a little shed for them with a normal door on it. Lately crows and magpies have been in stealing the eggs, we then closed the door enough so that the hens could only walk in and out. Now the eggs just have holes punched in them instead of being stolen.

Short of buying a gun is there any other way to get the crows to leave the eggs be?

Ladder traps for crows works well.

@ what i marked in bold.
    Is there a chance a chicken could have pecked some too?? If it has im afraid only thing is to get rid of chicken or keep him separeted from the others.
    I have the same problem with crows. Rooks and jackdaws. Its terrible alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

I'm not sure as to the proper designations of the crows, but there's what i would call grey crows and hooded crows around alot.

The holes aren't being caused by the hens as far as i can see. The hens never spend much time in the shed, they lay then head out around the yard. Will have to watch them a bit i suppose.

I think i'll give the ladder trap a go.

Thanks everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

This fella >here< is a "hooded crow"/greycrow/greyback. He'd be considerably bigger than a magpie, twice the size.

Advertisement