Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journos Hooooooo!

Options
  • 06-06-2010 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭

Right, so regardless of who get's the National Journo job, people are still going to be needed to do some writing.

So who's interested in any of the following:

National Team Correspondent - Must have an interest in the national side of things, be able to do previews of upcoming games and do post match analysis.

U20's National Correspondent - as above.

Div 1 Correspondent - Must be either familiar with the div 1 teams or willing to put in the effort to analyse each team. Should give a short review of each team (like JP did a few seasons ago), then really quick reviews of each matches each week, possibly singling out one match as "the one to watch" and going into more detail. Other options include doing a season prediction and a half-way through review.

Div 2 - As above. Two may be needed here.

Div 3 - As above. Two will probably be needed.

Div 4 - As above, again two.

Div 5 - I'd imagine taking a different strategy here. As Div 5 should be now a total botfest, I'd suggest one writer could focus on this aspect of the game and tackle the few player on player encounters... possibly also do a "one to watch" section for brand new players who are outshining their div 5 position.

I'm still in two minds as to whether or not a person in a certain Div should be commenting on that Div... for example they might play down their own team's strengths (or big them up) and that would distort fair commentary. Though having said that, they should know their rivals better than anyone. Might be nice to have an independent opinion though.

There's loads more content to be covered, but it won't require a long term commitment, so if we're doing a feature on tactics the NJ can "interview" a few managers etc.

Also... does anybody have some server space knocking about? The NJ would just need to install a wordpress blog on it (or you can do that) and after that everything is accessed through a wordpress interface and no further server interaction is required. If all else fails we can work on a wordpress.com page, but that limits themes etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

I would be interested, preferably one of the international jobs . . . I can commit to 2-3 seasons of writing. Samples of what I've done before are in Jeffs journal:p. Actually how about a boards cup section as well? Considering the boards influence on the Irish community it seems fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'd be happy to give Div. 3 a crack.

Orizio wrote: »
    I'd be happy to give Div. 3 a crack.

The old team back together:D

ajeffares wrote: »
    The old team back together:D

Oh for a return to those golden days Jeff...:(

/walks into the sunset with a tear in his eye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I would be interested, preferably one of the international jobs . . . I can commit to 2-3 seasons of writing. Samples of what I've done before are in Jeffs journal:p. Actually how about a boards cup section as well? Considering the boards influence on the Irish community it seems fair.

Yeah I was considering a boards cup section alright (if I get the job) but I thought I'd just do that myself or someone on boards would do it. The above post was copy and pasted on the offsite and in the lounge, so I didn't want to be too specific.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Yeah I was considering a boards cup section alright (if I get the job) but I thought I'd just do that myself or someone on boards would do it. The above post was copy and pasted on the offsite and in the lounge, so I didn't want to be too specific.

Fair enough, if I could i'd prefer National U20s :p

Right, so Orizio for Div 3. Reckon we definitely need one more person for that, it's full on and where most of the action seems to be at these days.

Jeff, JP expressed an early interest in keeping up his U20 coverage, but I'm not sure if he has changed his mind now that he's coaching the side.

So, you want me to do:

-> Team (the major ones) previews or division previews?

-> Weekly round-ups or previews?

So, you want me to do:

-> Team (the major ones) previews or division previews?

-> Weekly round-ups or previews?

I reckon to start with division previews would be the way forward. Similar to JP's ones a few seasons ago, just a short paragraph on each team.

I reckon weekly round-ups may be easier to do at this stage. We really need someone else on this with you, otherwise it could just turn into an impossible mission. If you start looking at the division previews I'll try figure out who else wants to be involved etc and then I'll fill in whatever gaps myself.

Johnnybegood from The Jacks also volunteered, just confirming if he's still into it, but if ye could divide the division between the two of ye that'd be good.

• Advertisement

Ok, so we now have three reporters in Div 3. Details on division of labour can be found on the delightful off-site.

Still looking for a national team, div 4 and div 1 correspondent.

Ok, so we now have three reporters in Div 3. Details on division of labour can be found on the delightful off-site.

Still looking for a national team, div 4 and div 1 correspondent.

You're the third I presume?

You're the third I presume?

Sorry no, It's Johnnybegood, yourself and Fetch. I'm covering DivIII.16 but just because 16 divided by 3 doesn't work.

It's divided up on the off-site thread, so each reporter only has 5 leagues to look at, makes it a bit more manageable.

You're in the handy position of commenting on the other two reporters' leagues :)

Right, so Orizio for Div 3. Reckon we definitely need one more person for that, it's full on and where most of the action seems to be at these days.

Jeff, JP expressed an early interest in keeping up his U20 coverage, but I'm not sure if he has changed his mind now that he's coaching the side.

No problem, I can help him or whatever . . . see what he wants:)

No problem, I can help him or whatever . . . see what he wants:)

Oh no, gosh I can't keep up with all these sites, you're the man doing it, I think he's focusing on training the team (you just have focus on tearing him down! Wuhahahahahahahahaha)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Frankie,

don't forget about aaahrugbyboy in all this. He seemed pretty keen to get involved.

JP

Oh no, gosh I can't keep up with all these sites, you're the man doing it, I think he's focusing on training the team (you just have focus on tearing him down! Wuhahahahahahahahaha)

Ok thanks

jprender wrote: »
    Frankie,

don't forget about aaahrugbyboy in all this. He seemed pretty keen to get involved.

JP

Yeah, I mentioned him in my first post, and sent him a message, but he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. He's not of a leaving cert age is he? Would make sense perhaps.
    More people involved the better really.

Mag can be viewed at www.brirelandzine.com . It's still under construction, but there's a bit of content there for the reading.

Mag can be viewed at www.brirelandzine.com . It's still under construction, but there's a bit of content there for the reading.

My first post is ready for you to upload, I'll start a thread here for some discussion if you don't mind

• Advertisement

My first post is ready for you to upload, I'll start a thread here for some discussion if you don't mind

Cool, I saw it there but wasn't sure if it was finished. Last time I looked it said "draft", but to be honest I haven't messed around with the settings yet, but I thought it'd say "pending publication" or something. Hrrmmmmma.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

Just read your III.16 preview Fewcifur!

Completely agree with your summary of Battai Batok Bulldogok RFC. Oddest team ever. His back 3, 2nd row and front row being the funniest of the lot. :D

edit: also, Men who stare at Goats don't have a star player. harsh. :rolleyes:

crisco10 wrote: »
    Just read your III.16 preview Fewcifur!

Completely agree with your summary of Battai Batok Bulldogok RFC. Oddest team ever. His back 3, 2nd row and front row being the funniest of the lot. :D

Sorry Crisco, just noticed that bit of missing information a minute ago, I'll amend it soon. Actually, now that I look at the review, I think your bit is half finished! :eek: I wrote your bit first but didn't want to come to any conclusion before I got a feeling for the other teams in the league. Must go back and finish it.

At least I see I have ya predicted for a play-off spot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

Sorry Crisco, just noticed that bit of missing information a minute ago, I'll amend it soon. Actually, now that I look at the review, I think your bit is half finished! :eek: I wrote your bit first but didn't want to come to any conclusion before I got a feeling for the other teams in the league. Must go back and finish it.

At least I see I have ya predicted for a play-off spot :)

Well ironically, I think you were a bit generous with that prediction! I'd be happy with a 5th or 6th place finish.

Wasn't being critical btw, you did a great job. Living up to your election promises. fairplay my man!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

They're all equally amazing... lol

Well ironically, I think you were a bit generous with that prediction! I'd be happy with a 5th or 6th place finish.

Wasn't being critical btw, you did a great job. Living up to your election promises. fairplay my man!

Ah don't worry, I wasn't taking it as you being critical :)

It should be updated now, with a bit more and a star player.

I reckon you should be in the playoffs, there's only two original teams in that league, one is going to be a strong finisher, the other has the experience but looks a bit loose, and might just be losing the plot (or playing an amazingly clever game!) Tournafulla have the squad to be in the playoff too.

You've got two div5 teams that have way way too weak squads, obviously not prepared to jump 2 divisions.
    Then you've got that insane Bulldogok.

Then you've got Reddog, who should be in the play-offs too. I think that's all the teams? So I'd expect you to definitely own at least the three weaker teams, and if you get Madness before he bulks up his squad (or if he doesn't, you'll get him when they die of exhaustion) you should be sorted.

Of course you can never predict these things accurately. The Div5 teams are young and have dodge CSR, but the managers definitely look like they're into the game and are building cleverly for the future, so they may have a few surprises for ya.

Advertisement