Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are these ?

Options
  • 06-06-2010 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

I was out hiking today at Saleen, Ballymacaw, Waterford and I usually stop at the end of the beach, but today I decided to climb a small cliff face and I continued across several fields, until I encountered these 2 towers.

Does anyone reading this know what they are ?
    and was I still in Saleen, Ballymacaw ?

018.jpg

023.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

They are the Irish Twin Towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Looks like a "folly"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Jordan sunbathing just over the ridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

They're the chimneys for the Skanger Factory. Now you know where skangers are hatched.

Ireland's only ICBM silos.

Part of the world's largest slingshot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ancient towers so that raiders (vikings for example) could be spotted coming over the horizon.
    Giving the then religious orders extra time to escape and/or hide their valuables.

They for example would seek refuge in a tower such as: http://www.megalithicireland.com/High%20Cross%20Monasterboice.htm
    at Monasterboice. The doorway would be some feet up and the entrance would normally be inaccessible by easy access.

See the tower here: http://www.lookaroundireland.com/louth/monasterboice.php#

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Look like plinths?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

its a cleverly disgused missle luanch site should we ever get invaded again, this is the real reason why the country is broke

but dont tell everone OP

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Leave the lepercauns alone!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Old Navigation Towers

(witticism to follow...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Can't quite remember the exact numbers or locations but..

They are on one side of Tramore (I think) bay and I think there are three on the other side. They are merely navigation aids. Ships used run aground on Tramore bay as from the sea it looks the same to the entrance to Waterford Harbour. Hence you know when you've passed Tramore and can navigate into Waterford.

• Advertisement

Here is a larger, better built version of one: 2d9tpwg.jpg
    Its on the Louth coastline at Morningtown.

Biggins wrote: »
    Here is a larger, better built version of one: 2d9tpwg.jpg
    Its on the Louth coastline at Morningtown.

Understated and elegant watermark.. What software did you use for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

MS Paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

ironclaw wrote: »

They are on one side of Tramore (I think) bay and I think there are three on the other side. They are merely navigation aids. Ships used run aground on Tramore bay as from the sea it looks the same to the entrance to Waterford Harbour. Hence you know when you've passed Tramore and can navigate into Waterford.

Your right, I googled some of your sentence and low and behold, i got a match.

Brownstown Head Dunmore East, Waterford

http://www.waterford-dunmore.com/tourism/web?task=Display&art_id=24

(See Last Paragraph)

LOL Photoshop :p
    Quickie job. I'm good at them according to the wife! :pac:

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

ironclaw wrote: »

Here's the other three pillars.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

the 3 towers (one has a man on top) are known as the metal man and were erected by Lloyds of London after a ship wreck a few hundred years ago.. a ship called The Seahorse.. mistook Tramore bay for the mouth of the river Suir..

The other 2 are navigation towers on Brownstown head are part of this plan to prevent this happening again..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramore

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Looks like something from Lost...

Advertisement