Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance problems

Options
  • 06-06-2010 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

last week i bought a honda nsr 125 and was going to restrict it to 11kw (13hp). my licence is an A1 as im only 16 and it says on my licence i can drive upto a 125cc and/or 11kw. the NSR is 124cc and it will be restricted to 11kw so in my eyes i see everything is ok?

so, to cut a long story short, i done my research and found out that my insurance company, Quinn Direct,(whome i have had 2 bikes insured with previously), did not need proof that the bike was restricted and its upto me to insure its restricted.that was fine and i rang them up and went to change my insurance over from my old bike (honda nsr 80) to this new restricted nsr 125. they then told me "I would like to advise unfortunately, we are unable to provide a quotation on this vehicle. You would be required to be 18+ years old."

i dont see how i have to be 18 or over to insure this bike as my licence covers me to drive the bike and i would be driving it legaly.

am i in the wrong or are quinn direct in the wrong? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think you're cosher. I think all you can do is tell them you've bought it and you can't give it back and implore to make an exception for you. They did this for my brother a few years ago in his cage when he bought a gti on aa prov license.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

i've heard a few lads have this problem and how they solved it is by going to the quinn offices and asking for insurance from a sales rep sitting at a desk...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

how do ya plan on restricting it to 13 bhp, afaik theres only the restrictor available to 33bhp

i had to go to the office to get insurance on a car before but they could easily say they want you to have an assesment done before they will insure you

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

go onto there website and get your insurance that way or like some of the other lads have said go to the office but if you are to far from a quinn office ring them back tell them you want to transfer your insurance and if they give you the same story as before and ask to speak to a supervisor and if that gets you know where and you are 100% sure your licence covers you to drive such a bike tell them you will be contacting the Financial Services Ombudsman about the situation

The Financial Services Ombudsman’s Bureau is a statutory body set up under the terms of the Central Bank and Financial Services Authority of Ireland Act 2004. The Financial Services Ombudsman is a statutory officer who deals independently with unresolved complaints from consumers about their individual dealings with all financial services providers including insurance companies. It is a free service to the complainant. Their website address is www.financialombudsman.ie They can be contacted at Financial Services Ombudsman’s Bureau, Regus House, Harcourt Centre, Harcourt Road, Dublin 2. By e-mail at enquiries@finacialombudsman.ie or at Lo Call: 1890 88 20 90 or at (01) 6620899.

or you can tell them you will be bringing a claim under the

Equal Status Acts 2000 - 2004
    Under the Equal Status Acts 2000 - 2004 a person cannot be refused motor insurance cover solely on the basis of age unless the insurer can show that the difference in treatment is reasonable and is justified by reliance on actuarial or statistical data or other underwriting or commercial factors. Insurers base their premia on their experience of claims relating to certain demographics. The contact details of the Equality Authority can be accessed by clicking on
    http://www.equality.ie/index.asp?locID=65&docID=-1 or you can log on to their website at www.equality.ie They can be contacted at The Equality Authority, 2 Clonmel Street, Dublin 2. By e-mail at info@equality.ie or alternatively by telephoning them at Lo Call: 1890 245 545 or (01) 4173333.

best of luck and the 125 they are a very good bike i have one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

being honest, neither of you are in the wrong as Quinn because they are taking on your "risk" can add condition ie you having to be 18

generally insurance companies.....especially Quinn now are not going to really budge for you, as im my case ( im with Quinn myself) i was trying to get 2 months insurance for my bike as im moving away and basically their reply was tough **** matey nothing we can do we only can insure you for the year

and when i was trying to get my bike insured their last yr ( honda CBR 125cc) when i was 18 Quinn was the only company that would take me

i hate to be the arse hole here but honestly you really should have checked to see would Quinn have insured you before you bought the bike.....i know fat use now..sorry

emmm only other option i can think of is going to a private brooker of insurance and see what they can do for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

i dont believe that i started on an aprilia rs 50 and after 9 months changed to a nsr 125 with out any problem i had to pay around €200 extra but thats understandable but if your licence covers you to drive such a vehicle then by law the insurance company have to give you a quote even if its out of this world but they have to quote you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

im afraid as i mentioned above because they are there to claim and cover your risk they are under no such obligation to insure any driver who they feel may pose a seriously higher risk than normal

"Individual insurers have the right to refuse you cover, but they must provide you with a reason for the refusal should you ask for one. However, even though you have been refused cover, you are entitled to go to the Declined Cases Committee of the Irish Insurance Federation who will obtain an insurance quotation for you. In order for the Committee to consider your case you must first have sought and been refused quotations in writing from at least three insurers."

its just like with health insurance, companies can refuse individuals with serious long term illness travel insurance etc as they pose a seriously higher risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

smokin ace wrote: »
    i dont believe that i started on an aprilia rs 50 and after 9 months changed to a nsr 125 with out any problem i had to pay around €200 extra but thats understandable but if your licence covers you to drive such a vehicle then by law the insurance company have to give you a quote even if its out of this world but they have to quote you

It is true, you can complain to the insurance ombudsman, and they can force quinn to give you a quote.

What you dont realise is the insurance company can then quote you five thousand quid, and no one can do a thing about it.

Do not complain to the ombudsman, try the diplomatic route.

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

smokin ace wrote: »
    Was that 200 extra for the remaining three months?:eek:

Advertisement