Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock Village

Options
  • 05-06-2010 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else feel Blackrock village is dying a slow death. The whole main street is taken up by coffee shops which close at 6, fast food places and pubs with a handful of shops. The place is literally dead in the evenings and during the daytime its over run with traffic from the two shopping centres. Compared to similar villages like Malahide or Dalkey Blackrock really has nothing going for it. It does nothing to capitalise on being beside the sea-no seafront bars, restaurants etc

Anyone got any ideas on how the village could get a makeover and start attracting people to spend time there both during the day and at night?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

how can it have seafront bars/restaurants theres no room there for them , pubs etc should lower their prices to get people in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Do you realise there is a few pubs and one or two restaurants in Blackrock. Not many places are going to open in Blackrock unless they feel there is going to be a significant demand for their services in Blackrock, they will go near the Dundrum shopping centre if they want to risk opening up in South County Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Blackrock (and Dunlaoghaire) were never triving places. Having been brought up in South Dublin I could probably count the number of times on both hands that I went on a night out in both towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Blackrock (and Dunlaoghaire) were never triving places. Having been brought up in South Dublin I could probably count the number of times on both hands that I went on a night out in both towns.

Same here and I could make exactly the same point

• Registered Users Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Well Suite 54 in Blackrock has died a little. It used to be full both weekend nights and offered a student night during the week (during the college year), whereas now Saturday is jammed whilst Friday swings between empty and half-full and the student night disappeared long ago, and this despite the fact that they now offer free-in most nights.

I agree it is dying a death though, the latest shop to open was one of those discount retailers, and if you walk down the street, so many second floor premises are to let, as well as really good ground level spots (Mortgage Store).

And as someone said considering there are 7 (8 if you count the Avoca) pubs in Blackrock Village, you think there would be some competition and lowering of prices but they all just offer the same...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,879 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

was the main street ever considered for pedestrianisation?

its an odd place allright, lacks any of the charm of Dalkey etc. I dont live there but for me its 2 shopping centres and the park. the main street is just blandsville

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If it was pedestrianised it would be a hell of a lot better than it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Well Suite 54 in Blackrock has died a little. It used to be full both weekend nights and offered a student night during the week (during the college year), whereas now Saturday is jammed whilst Friday swings between empty and half-full and the student night disappeared long ago, and this despite the fact that they now offer free-in most nights.

I agree it is dying a death though, the latest shop to open was one of those discount retailers, and if you walk down the street, so many second floor premises are to let, as well as really good ground level spots (Mortgage Store).

And as someone said considering there are 7 (8 if you count the Avoca) pubs in Blackrock Village, you think there would be some competition and lowering of prices but they all just offer the same...

This is kind of what I was trying to say in my OP. Sorry if it was alittle confusing. Definately the pubs are over priced and do little to attract people in. Apparently the Mad Hatter used to be quite lively but it was before my time so I can't say for sure.

Pedestrianisation could be an answer I suppose but it was tried out in Dun Laoghaire and was a disaster.

A lack of restaurants may be another reaon-theres that Italian place opposite the library(now closed), an Indian in that little side street opposite the health centre and that Mexican(?) place that used to be a pub on the Main Street.

As a resident of Blackrock I just find it sad that what could be such a pleasant village is so bland and as on poster said beginning to become semi vacant :(

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

This is kind of what I was trying to say in my OP. Sorry if it was alittle confusing. Definately the pubs are over priced and do little to attract people in. Apparently the Mad Hatter used to be quite lively but it was before my time so I can't say for sure.

Pedestrianisation could be an answer I suppose but it was tried out in Dun Laoghaire and was a disaster.

A lack of restaurants may be another reaon-theres that Italian place opposite the library(now closed)
    , an Indian in that little side street opposite the health centre and that Mexican(?) place that used to be a pub on the Main Street.

As a resident of Blackrock I just find it sad that what could be such a pleasant village is so bland and as on poster said beginning to become semi vacant :(

Is Dalis closed? Or do you mean somewhere else as it's not really italian. Was only in there a couple of months ago, been there quite a bit over the years, good food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

If it was pedestrianised it would be a hell of a lot better than it is now.

Can't be done because there a group of houses on the same road as the dart station and behind the rows of shops behind supermacs and celtic bookmakers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

copacetic wrote: »
    Is Dalis closed? Or do you mean somewhere else as it's not really italian. Was only in there a couple of months ago, been there quite a bit over the years, good food.

Sorry yeah Dali's was where I was talking about. I always thought it was Italian :confused: I was referring to the library being closed rather than Dali's sorry.

You could still access the seafront houses from the other end of the street if the main street was pedestrainised I think/

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Sorry yeah Dali's was where I was talking about. I always thought it was Italian :confused: I was referring to the library being closed rather than Dali's sorry.

You could still access the seafront houses from the other end of the street if the main street was pedestrainised I think/

ah, doh! I see what you meant now.

They usually have a pasta but mostly the menu is modern european I guess. Great food too...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

copacetic wrote: »
    ah, doh! I see what you meant now.

They usually have a pasta but mostly the menu is modern european I guess. Great food too...

Brilliant restaurant.

Advertisement