Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone give me the low down on Poker In the Pub?

Options
  • 05-06-2010 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I was in the middle of setting up pub tourney games while a friend suggested doing one with poker in the pub... i've heard of them before. But never knew much about it.

I was under the impression that poker in the pub was only available for publicans who wanted to run poker games in their venue.

Can anyone who has an interest run a pub game with them in a local area?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭DAMO72

Yes you can infact run your own game in a local pub or do it in conjunction with the publican thru IPPT . You can get all the info you need off their site . You can get Jim Smiths no. off the site also.
    Hope this helps .

Edit : What area are you in ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 games2sell

I am living in north dublin.
    But know a few places that would be ideal. Some in North Dublin, Some in South. As I say I was looking into my own games for the last few months. But a friend wisely said best off going with someone who knows the game before trying it myself :)

How does the break down work?
    I hear its €10 euro per player (4 goes to the TD, 4 goes to the prizefund, then 2 goes to the bigger game)

That means as a person who wants to run a game. They would get no profit? unless they put on a cash game?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

im pretty sure its not legal for a random person to set up a cash game in a pub for profit. its not worth your while money wise following the ippt buyin structure.

If the IPPT structure doesn't suit you then i would suggest that you go ahead with your own game and run it as a 4 wk league and add the IPPT tickets to the final as a sweetner to the league winners.

As someone who is just starting out i would advise you to keep your buy in's as low as possible so you can attract players in first . There is a lot of operators running tournaments now and its very hard to get a steady crowd , but if you run a good quality game with a decentish structure you should be ok . I find if you offer a bonus chip before such a time and start the game on time regardless of numbers you will get a regular crowd.

As regards profit you will not make a fortune overnight , infact there will be plenty of nights when you turn up to a venue and set up everything and sit there for the nxt 2 hrs twiddling your thumbs watching the door .Dont let this stop you , it will take time and effort to build it . Have a clear set of rules set out and make sure everyone understands them . Sit in and deal for them and get a bit of banter going among the players and explain things to new players as you go along. Try not to play your own games.

Goodluck with whatever you decide to do but i think going with the IPPT to get you started would be a good move .

Regards ...Damian

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

On this subject a mate of mine who runs samll tournaments has been offered tickets to the Grand Final by two seperate poker operators. One offered him 20 for €1,000 with no need to run a league or anything. Very odd set up imo.

• Advertisement

Rockfish wrote: »
    On this subject a mate of mine who runs samll tournaments has been offered tickets to the Grand Final by two seperate poker operators. One offered him 20 for €1,000 with no need to run a league or anything. Very odd set up imo.
    Im pretty sure who ever offered these tickets were trying to scam your mate . You know the old saying if it's too good to be true and all that . Tell your mate to contact Ippt directly .

So am I right to believe if anyone wanted to set up an Poker in the Pub game, they wouldnt get anything of it?

That this IPPT would be the ones making the money?

I was always under the impression IPPT would handle the tournament (aka, make their bit from that) while the person who set up the game/venue could run a cash game or whatever by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

If it was that easy we could all be making at least 500 a night in our spare time

OK M8 ive given you as much info as i can and i hope it helps you .
    Goodluck in whatever you decide to do .

Regards.. Damo

5Aces wrote: »
    If it was that easy we could all be making at least 500 a night in our spare time

Ha, thats true.
    Well thanks the advice Damo72.

But it really does seem like all Poker in the Pub (or IPPT) wants is people to let them know, or even set up a game for them with a publican while that person would get nothing out of it.

maybe the idea of running a cash game is asking a little too much if one sets it up :P (they probably run their own) But its just crazy to think a person would get nothing in return. Obviously IPPT would get the cut out of the tourney... its their chips and tables.
    But i find it crazy to think I, or anyone else couldnt run a cash game? (which lets face it, every pub poker game has)

• Advertisement

games2sell wrote: »
    I am living in north dublin.
    But know a few places that would be ideal. Some in North Dublin, Some in South. As I say I was looking into my own games for the last few months. But a friend wisely said best off going with someone who knows the game before trying it myself :)

How does the break down work?
    I hear its €10 euro per player (4 goes to the TD, 4 goes to the prizefund, then 2 goes to the bigger game)

That means as a person who wants to run a game. They would get no profit? unless they put on a cash game?

This is your profit i would assume.

DAMO72 wrote: »
    Im pretty sure who ever offered these tickets were trying to scam your mate . You know the old saying if it's too good to be true and all that . Tell your mate to contact Ippt directly .

Defo not a scam. He was offered them by two different major poker organisers who are well know in the irish poiker scene.

Defo not a scam. He was offered them by two different major poker organisers who are well know in the irish poiker scene.
    Then if this is the case my advice to the op is stop looking a gift horse in the mouth and get off his hole and start running his games . Opertunities like that are hard to come by .:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Then if this is the case my advice to the op is stop looking a gift horse in the mouth and get off his hole and start running his games . Opertunities like that are hard to come by .:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    You mean me or the op?:confused:

You mean me or the op?:confused:
    The OP

The OP

Sound. Was wondering why you quoted me, that's all. BTW what is the great opportunity???

Sound. Was wondering why you quoted me, that's all. BTW what is the great opportunity???[/QUOTE]

20 tickets for €1k . If the op cant make money on that then he should give up now

Sound. Was wondering why you quoted me, that's all. BTW what is the great opportunity???[/QUOTE]

20 tickets for €1k . If the op cant make money on that then he should give up now

Damo, you need to re read thread. And how is 20 ticktes for €1k necessarily a good deal? These tickets dont have a value and strangely no one form poker in pub has been on this thread. I'm assumig you still celebrating Monagahn's win yesterday....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭IPPT

Hi All,

just came across this thread today as all us are busy at events in the run up to the final. I will look in to all the above and come back with a reply in the next few days.

Regards,

Jim Smith

Advertisement