Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Engineer parts import to autodesk 3Ds Max

Options
  • 05-06-2010 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

I've been using Pro Engineer casually and in university for the last few years, does anybody have any experience with opening Pro Engineer parts (.pro, .stp, .stl or .iges) in Autodesk 3ds Max? I'd like to know how to do this without forking out €€€ for more plugins.

It's driving me around the twist, so if anybody could help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I imagine Pro Engieer has an export function, export it as a .3DS file

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Nope, no export function, and the 'save as' does not have a .3ds feature and when I import parts into 3ds max as STEP files, about half of the surfaces are missing...

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Just to clarify what I did in the end. Save a Pro E parts/assembly as STEP file. Import this STEP file into Autodesk inventor. Then in Autodesk inventor save the file as a .iam, which can be opened by 3ds max. The only problem is that all the constraints have to be reapplied one by one.

Advertisement