Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat or FETAC?

Options
  • 05-06-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi,
    I think I might fail my Leaving Cert and not even get into Archaeology (280 points at IT Sligo last year). So I was wondering:

Should I repeat or do a FETAC in Cork City?
    Is it difficult to get into university if you've done a FETAC? (Need great results, a strenuous interview etc.)

The course I want to do (International Development & Food Policy) will be over 400 points this year and here are the minimum FETAC requirements from UCC:

FETAC Requirements:
    FETAC applicants must have completed one of the following FETAC Level 5 courses:
    Business Studies BBSXX
    Community and Health Services DCHSX
    Language and European Studies ELESX
    Student must meet the module requirements and have achieved distinctions (i.e. 80% or greater) in five modules as outlined in the FETAC Links information. It is expected that there will be up to three places on this programme for students presenting with the above.

Would it possible to get all of these requirements in a year? Is getting 80% + difficult to get?

My other options is to repeat at Cork College of Commerce. Although, I guess I could work for a year and redo my Leaving Cert as an external student?

Thanks in advance,
    Brian
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You do 8 modules on a FETAC course, one of which will be work experience. It is quite possible to get 5 distinctions provided you: 1. really work at the course; to be able to cope with university, 5 distinctions at FETAC level 5 would be a reasonable expectation. 2. Keep your attendance good. 3. Be prepared to do the extra bit of work, rather than doing the minimum to get by. Yes you can do it in a year.

Don't despair of your Leaving Cert yet, you might have done better than you think. You might find it difficult to get a FETAC place at this stage - you will be in the third round interviews, so that might affect your decision to repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Adoniss

brian1991
    check ur PM.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

What do you hope to do in the future? If it's work in International Development then you'll need a specific skill and/or a masters. I wouldn't have even been considered for my job if I didn't have an MA in Development. I did a general Arts degree before this. What I'm saying is think long term, don't dispair if you don't get this course.
    If it's developing new grains (the Food Science part of the course) then by all means go for it. For me, I think repeating the leaving would have been a better option if I had been in your position. It's very hard to get a place when it's interview based, lots of competition. Along with your FETAC grades remember languages and volunteering are also very important to succeed in development.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vinoveritas

Whilst I am a great fan of the FETAC system - it is not for all. If you have your heart set on specific course - and there is only a limited possibility of getting a place through the Higher Links route (FETAC) than I would suggest repeating your Leaving Certificate. However, I would strongly suggest taking advice on your various options. I believe that once you have satisfied the matriculation requirements for the course you wish to do in one sitting of the Leaving Certificate i.e. a european language - you may not have to take this again in your repeats. This gives you the option to opt for subjects that are easier to score high points in. But again I stress taking advice on this ... talk to the Guidance Counsellor in your school or if that is not an option - talk to one of the grind colleges and they will advise accordingly.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

V V

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If continuous assesment works for you going for FETAC might be a better option. A large chunk of your marks in FETAC comes through assignments. It's a good system and more and more courses are now offering progression routes with FETAC qualifications. You'll do 8 modules as part of your FETAC cert, so similar to the Leaving Cert you have 3 subjects to fall back on. Also given that there are three different FETAC Certs which you can use to apply for your course theres a good chance you can find something which suits your interests.

The Community and Health Services award for example, will have core modules which I think are communications, work experience and occupational first aid - there are then a LONG list of other modules that can be used to complete that award, but it will depend on the college you go to, you can't usually pick and choose your subjects like you can in school.

Repeating is tough, especially as an external candidate. The onus is then COMPLETELY on you to get work done. Will you be able to sit down and study for hours every day if you don't have teachers/lecturers on your back to get stuff done? Especially after doing a full days work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 NeonAddict

brian1991 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I think I might fail my Leaving Cert and not even get into Archaeology (280 points at IT Sligo last year). So I was wondering:

Should I repeat or do a FETAC in Cork City?
    Is it difficult to get into university if you've done a FETAC? (Need great results, a strenuous interview etc.)

The course I want to do (International Development & Food Policy) will be over 400 points this year and here are the minimum FETAC requirements from UCC:

FETAC Requirements:
    FETAC applicants must have completed one of the following FETAC Level 5 courses:
    Business Studies BBSXX
    Community and Health Services DCHSX
    Language and European Studies ELESX
    Student must meet the module requirements and have achieved distinctions (i.e. 80% or greater) in five modules as outlined in the FETAC Links information. It is expected that there will be up to three places on this programme for students presenting with the above.

Would it possible to get all of these requirements in a year? Is getting 80% + difficult to get?

My other options is to repeat at Cork College of Commerce. Although, I guess I could work for a year and redo my Leaving Cert as an external student?

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

WOW man feel sorry for you *hug* I know for a fact its easy to get into FETAC but to get all distinctions its pretty hard you have to have no social life for a year and a lot of sleepless nights but then again getting 400 in leaving cert is hard too knowing as im not a brainbox or a nerd and Ive got 420 in my leaving cert few years ago I would say anybody can do it.but distinction in Fetac demands a lot of work if I were you Id repeat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

if you think you failed your lc......i really dont think repeating and tryin to get 400 points is a good idea...........i say go to oxegen and get bladdered then come back and do all of them courses in fas {you do them quicker in fas than plc and get paid for it}........then go to oxegen next year get bladdered again and go to college

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

denballs wrote: »
    if you think you failed your lc......i really dont think repeating and tryin to get 400 points is a good idea...........i say go to oxegen and get bladdered then come back and do all of them courses in fas {you do them quicker in fas than plc and get paid for it}........then go to oxegen next year get bladdered again and go to college

You sound like an MCD career advisor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

You sound like an MCD career advisor

mcd=massive chest doctor?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

NeonAddict wrote: »
    WOW man feel sorry for you *hug* I know for a fact its easy to get into FETAC but to get all distinctions its pretty hard you have to have no social life for a year and a lot of sleepless nights but then again getting 400 in leaving cert is hard too knowing as im not a brainbox or a nerd and Ive got 420 in my leaving cert few years ago I would say anybody can do it.but distinction in Fetac demands a lot of work if I were you Id repeat.

I think this is a bit OTT, FETAC isn't that hard, in fact, in my experience it's far, far, FAR easier than the Leaving Cert and distinctions are very easy to get. A lot of modules will have two assignments which will either be worth 50% each or will be worth about 60% between them, leaving you needing only about 50% in your written exam to get a distinction. Do good assignments and you'll barely have to study for your exams as you'll have covered it all, in detail, in your 'learner records' anyway.

You only need 80% to get a distinction with FETAC. Most people, especially someone who reckons they can get 400+ points if they repeat, should be able to get 5 distinctions in FETAC with relative ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

Thanks for the responses everyone. So far I think I've passed all my exams, even Maths. I need C3's for my course though, and with German (grammar and a terrible oral in May) and Economics to go, I have no room to be complacent. The World Cup is taking a lot of my study time, but I'm more confident than 8 June.
    I'm going to my career guidance counsellor on Saturday, and will discuss FETAC with her too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Hey have the exact problem
    Dunno if i should repeat or do the Nursing Studies in col of comm
    Sure, doing FETAC doesnt guarentee passage to a university? Does it??
    Maybe id be better off repeating. I think using one year for repeating would be better then a FETAC course which probably wont get me my course...Kinda confused :(:(

Advertisement