Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Peregrines

Options
  • 05-06-2010 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

I have noticed a good increase in the number of peregrines in and around Dublin in the past couple of years. I am aware of at least six pairs in the city between the two canals. Has any census been taken of these birds?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I have noticed a good increase in the number of peregrines in and around Dublin in the past couple of years. I am aware of at least six pairs in the city between the two canals. Has any census been taken of these birds?

That sounds like an incredibly high density - is that possible?

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Not unusual at all. In urban areas the territory claimed is much smaller than in rural areas. They will still be fiercely protective of the nesting area, but in an area where there is a high density of prey, the nest sites may be as little as a quarter to a half mile apart, with many of the hunting areas overlapping.

In a rural area the distance between nesting areas would normally start at about three quarters of a mile and can be as much as a couple of miles.

Also in a lot of the city areas the peregrine has adapted to nocturnal hunting, thanks to the artifical lighting, preying on bats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Just to make you all jealous, I observed a Barbary Falcon(used to be considered a sub-species of the Peregrine but has recently attained full species status) plucking a pigeon on a flat roof below Las Palmas cathedral right in the centre of the city on Gran Canaria in April last year.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not unusual at all. In urban areas the territory claimed is much smaller than in rural areas. They will still be fiercely protective of the nesting area, but in an area where there is a high density of prey, the nest sites may be as little as a quarter to a half mile apart, with many of the hunting areas overlapping.

In a rural area the distance between nesting areas would normally start at about three quarters of a mile and can be as much as a couple of miles.

Also in a lot of the city areas the peregrine has adapted to nocturnal hunting, thanks to the artifical lighting, preying on bats.

Two of the possible nest sites are less than 500 metres apart!! I think that a survey could be possible. Is the Irish Raptor Study Group still in existence?

Two of the possible nest sites are less than 500 metres apart!! I think that a survey could be possible. Is the Irish Raptor Study Group still in existence?

a pair of nests 500m or so apart is quite normal in such a built up area that is rich in potential prey.

I know that all the areas that the canal is near are being covered for the 2007/11 bird atlas by the BTO and Bird watch Ireland. This would take into account population density, breeding grounds, density of nesting areas etc. So I have no doubt that those peregrines and their movements are being recorded. The only tetrad within the Dublin area that is not being done due to lack of volunteers is the one containing Malahide and Portmarnock.

Another good local contact if you wish to get more info would be the South Dublin Branch of Birdwatch Ireland. You could give Aileen a buzz on (01) 288 9565, and that way you could get more up to date info on if anyone is specifically studying the birds you have seen, and if you are in the area, maybe you would be interested in getting involved too.

• Advertisement

Ironic that I replied to this thread already, as today I spotted a peregrine in one of my tetrads for the first time in the almost three years that I have being logging for those tetrads.

Am hoping that it does not turn out to be a once off thing. Beautiful bird that was having a good look about where I was, and was only about forty feet or so up when it cruised over me.

It seemed to force the kestrel in the same area to keep a low profile as I think today was one of the few days over the last few years when I did not have any kestrel sightings in that patch. Normally you can just stroll through the area and spot at least two kestrel in a 30 minute spell.

Is the Irish Raptor Study Group still in existence?

Yes it is, I will PM you contact details.

Amazing to think that a city would support such densities, but it makes sense with the density of feral pigeons.

LostCovey

LostCovey wrote: »
    Yes it is, I will PM you contact details.

Amazing to think that a city would support such densities, but it makes sense with the density of feral pigeons.

LostCovey

Given the high population numbers of feral pigeon, starling, and the different corvids it is not really suprising to see such decent numbers in that area. The feral pigeon alone would make up anything between 60% to 80% of it's diet in any urban area.

Given the high population numbers of feral pigeon, starling, and the different corvids it is not really suprising to see such decent numbers in that area. The feral pigeon alone would make up anything between 60% to 80% of it's diet in any urban area.

It's just fantastic to see a species back to this from almost extinct, within my lifetime. A great advertisement for what nature can do if it is just left alone.

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Gosh, Springwatch last night had a section about peregrines in the Bristol gorge. The presenter absailed down the gorge (sandstone?) to collect five, yes, count them, five, peregrine chicks, ring them and then return them to the nest. I expect this is on BBC player.

• Advertisement

Durnish wrote: »
    Gosh, Springwatch last night had a section about peregrines in the Bristol gorge. The presenter absailed down the gorge (sandstone?) to collect five, yes, count them, five, peregrine chicks, ring them and then return them to the nest. I expect this is on BBC player.

Five?? The most I ever saw in a nest was three! That's brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

A Birdwatch Ireland member was granted access to the roof of the Central Bank a few years back to check on a nesting pair of peregrines. Much to his surprize he found the roof littered with Woodcock remains. Strange what prey are available to peregrines in a city!

A Birdwatch Ireland member was granted access to the roof of the Central Bank a few years back to check on a nesting pair of peregrines. Much to his surprize he found the roof littered with Woodcock remains. Strange what prey are available to peregrines in a city!

Yeah I reckon if we knew all of what they can find to eat within the limits of a city it would prove to be quite the eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

yeah, they said that five chicks was very rare and it demonstrated good parents and good food supply.

A bit of an up-date on the urban peregrines; I was near St Peter's church in phibsborough and heard the familiar call of a peregrine. I spotted it eventually (people must have thought I was mad, standing on the path staring up!). It perched itself on one of the floodlight towers in Dalymount and then launched itself onto a passing corvid, possibly a jackdaw. That made my day today!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Nice one... Excellent find:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You'd be surprised how many woodcock you see in the city while they're migrating. Have seen them resting on the lawns in Trinity, can imagine you could watch peregrines taking them there if you spent a while at it. On another note, just back from Konstanz, in south Germany, where I could watch kites flying over the city regularly. :)

The peregrine was there again today, perched on the floodlight tower. It must like this spot! I also saw one, possibly the same one, up over Glasnevin cemetery.

Again today :)!! It was on the tower again and I spotted it over the Tolka Valley park just 20 minutes ago. I am convinced it is the same one. If any of you are in the area, keep an eye out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nice one - i can see one of the floodlight towers from my kitchen window, will keep an eye out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i mentioned this to my girlfriend, and unfortunately she said she saw a dead bird on the road on north king street recently which she reckoned might be a falcon.

That is bad news! I was watching a pair which I think were nesting on a building in that area last year when I was working on Hammond Lane :mad:.

Car maybe got it?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

Lovely!!! I'm a member of bohemian fc so should have no problem accessing the ground, My head up with the camera this week.

Which tower does she like?

That is bad news! I was watching a pair which I think were nesting on a building in that area last year when I was working on Hammond Lane :mad:.

Car maybe got it?
    she reckons it was last week or the week before when she saw it. no guarantees it was a falcon, though, but she said she's fairly happy it wasn't a pigeon.

Advertisement