Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking 7-Up When You're Sick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

7 Up? Pffft, my mother gave me Jameson when I was sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

No
    sesna wrote: »
    And what exactly are you basing that on ?

I suppose gob5hites CJH, Bertie were saints in your eyes too, who did their best for the country. After all, they did hold office of taoiseach !l

Also, why did you have contact with three different GP's for simple gastro-intestinal upsets? A case of hyperchondriasis, to say the least.

im basing that on the nonsense you have spouted - you clearly are not qualified in the medical area :rolleyes: and in the off chance that you are hows about you explain why i have never had any negative effects from boiled 7up? in fact i have felt better every time after i have taken some.

hmm i quite like your strawmanning there, top notch! the only requirement to become a politician is to get elected, to become a doctor you actually have to study very hard.

do you even need to ask why i was at 3 different GPs? :rolleyes: - my own GP, then he retired so his replacement, then when the replacement was on holidays her replacement, ffs :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

No
    If you ever need to take Disprin, dissolve it in some 7up rather than water. The 7Up takes away almost all of the horrible taste and makes it much easier to consume. It was something my mother used to give to us when we were sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

No
    For the people who're bickering in this thread over whether or not 7-Up actually does have any potential health benefits or whether or not a GP's advice is wrong, give it a ****ing rest, seriously. It wasn't the point of my thread. I just wanted to know whether or not people regularly drank the stuff when they become sick. Christ on a cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I hate 7up, it reminds me of being sick. The taste is rank.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

aDeener wrote: »
    im basing that on the nonsense you have spouted - you clearly are not qualified in the medical area :rolleyes: and in the off chance that you are hows about you explain why i have never had any negative effects from boiled 7up? in fact i have felt better every time after i have taken some.

hmm i quite like your strawmanning there, top notch! the only requirement to become a politician is to get elected, to become a doctor you actually have to study very hard.

do you even need to ask why i was at 3 different GPs? :rolleyes: - my own GP, then he retired so his replacement, then when the replacement was on holidays her replacement, ffs :rolleyes:

You are the one advancing useless, ad hominem arguments. I have dealt in fact. My original post was, as said before, a one-line statement made in jest. I can only surmise the resulting vitriol is the result of my audacity in daring to contradict Mammy's wonder cure.

If you knew anything about the "medical area", you would realise that efficacy of treatment is not based subjectively on how you (or anyone else) feels, but rather on detailed evidence base/clinial trial.

If you are suffering from diarrhoea, stomach upset, etc so frequently you should seriously consider seeing a gastroenterologist. IBS/ Crohn's disease does not respond well to "flat" 7-up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

For the people who're bickering in this thread over whether or not 7-Up actually does have any potential health benefits or whether or not a GP's advice is wrong, give it a ****ing rest, seriously. It wasn't the point of my thread. I just wanted to know whether or not people regularly drank the stuff when they become sick. Christ on a cracker.

I drank a can of 7up with a nagan of vodka when I was 14, then went to funderland and got on all the rides - got very sick :(

couldnt drink 7up for 15 years after it, couldnt even stomach the smell of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

No
    Yeah must be an irish thing, because of it. now i can't drink 7 up, it reminds me of being a sick kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

No
    Mam always had 7UP for us when we were home sick from school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I'm seldom sick and I'd only drink 7up when I'm well. I wouldn't recommend giving it to a sick person of any age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

No
    I drink 7Up all the time, whether I'm sick or not. I like the diet version (7Up Free). It's one of the rare diet drinks that doesn't taste worse than the normal version (Coke v Diet Coke).

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

I drank I once when I was sick. Didn't make me feel even the slightest bit better. Never drank it again.

No
    You are the one advancing useless, ad hominem arguments. I have dealt in fact. My original post was, as said before, a one-line statement made in jest. I can only surmise the resulting vitriol is the result of my audacity in daring to contradict Mammy's wonder cure.

If you knew anything about the "medical area", you would realise that efficacy of treatment is not based subjectively on how you (or anyone else) feels, but rather on detailed evidence base/clinial trial.

If you are suffering from diarrhoea, stomach upset, etc so frequently you should seriously consider seeing a gastroenterologist. IBS/ Crohn's disease does not respond well to "flat" 7-up :pac:

useless because it has worked for me and others here on the thread and also recommended by doctors? right yeah good one.

when did i say i get this frequently? 3 occasions in all my years is hardly frequent. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

No

I suppose gob5hites CJH, Bertie were saints in your eyes too, who did their best for the country. After all, they did hold office of taoiseach !l

Also, why did you have contact with three different GP's for simple gastro-intestinal upsets? A case of hyperchondriasis, to say the least.

What the hell has that got to do with 7-up and stomach upsets. For such a frivolous topic at hand this thread has some nasty posters.

useless because it has worked for me and others here on the thread and also recommended by doctors? right yeah good one.

when did i say i get this frequently? 3 occasions in all my years is hardly frequent. :rolleyes:

Thanks for giving me a greater insight into the idiotic mentality that prevailed regarding therapeutic efficacies of remedies prior to the thalidomide disaster. Luckily for all of us, more scientific scrutiny is now involved. Can you state where flat 7up/any carbonated beverage is recommended in ANY medical literature?

Also, you're now saying you visited a different GP on each of the 3 occasions in your lifetime you had diarrhoea. Each episode must have been quite severe, and interestingly each individual doctor proffered 7up :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

No
    Funny how this thread came about- I was only thinking of this earlier.
    In my house, we usually boiled the 7up until all the fizz was gone and let it cool to tepid tempeture before drinking it. Don't know why but it works wonders on a gippy stomach. Incidently: Boiled, fizz-less 7Up tastes EXACTLY like Mountain Dew.

I also can no longer drink red lemonade/ original Lucazade due to the assosiation of always having it when I was sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

No
    Thanks for giving me a greater insight into the idiotic mentality that prevailed regarding therapeutic efficacies of remedies prior to the thalidomide disaster. Luckily for all of us, more scientific scrutiny is now involved. Can you state where flat 7up/any carbonated beverage is recommended in ANY medical literature?

Also, you're now saying you visited a different GP on each of the 3 occasions in your lifetime you had diarrhoea. Each episode must have been quite severe, and interestingly each individual doctor proffered 7up :rolleyes:

Let it go man... grow up!

Let it go man... grow up!

I'm simply responding to what other people have directed to me ... man.

No

and your point? you claimed that 7up will cause diarrhoea, after i took it it did not cause it. how come doctor? :rolleyes:

no i dont have any medical literature, i have the word of 3 different GPs (and the lack of any negative effects afterwards), thats good enough for me.

No

no one directed anything at you, you quoted oppenheimer stating that drinking 7up will cause osmotic diarrhoea which i and others have said it has not caused this to happen in us

• Advertisement

and your point? you claimed that 7up will cause diarrhoea, after i took it it did not cause it. how come doctor? :rolleyes:

no i dont have any medical literature, i have the word of 3 different GPs (and the lack of any negative effects afterwards), thats good enough for me.

I have laid out all my facts several times, regarding efficacy of rehydration in drinking hypertonic sugar solutions in pre-existing gastro upset with hypermotility. I'm not going to repeat them now.

Funny how only self-limiting conditions such as gastroenteritis respond so well to such bull5hit remedies. I contend they would have improved regardless, a concept you have great difficulty in grasping. Also as stated, you would be better served drinking rehydration sachets with correct balance of electrolytes to reduce possibility of exacerabating diarrhoea through osmosis.

Homeopathic remedies are also great for self-limiting conditions for fools with a lack of understanding and more money than sense. Continue in your ignorance as you please.

Oh and please don't go running to your GP all the time with such nonsense complaints - he might recommend flat 7up just to get rid of you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I've heard this a few times, and when I visit people in hospital there's always at least one person in the ward with a bottle of 7UP at their bedside. I've never done it, nor has anyone else in my family. I've always seen it as being a bit pointless, water's just as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elzer

No

look seesna you need to take a chill pill and stop throwing techobable at the posts.....there is a poll above and the people have spoken....deal with it......it seems you're becoming nasty because people practice home remedies that make them feel more comfortable.........is every over the counter pill effective????.......or are you going to tell people they cant have a hot whiskey and lemon when they have a cold???? your scientific preference is your own and you should accept other peoples preferences......as for bertie n all that you're off on a tangent there my friend.........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i based my post on what we were told by our physiology lecturers in UCC, one of whom is a pretty eminent doctor. i'd believe them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

So you're basically saying its crap, does nothing, but should be advocated because it is "no harm". Nice.

I don't need evidence to assert that drinking large volumes of hypertonic sugar drinks can cause osmosis of water, just as I don't need evidence to show that falling off a two-story building can break your leg.

Primum Non Nocere;)

Since glucose is pretty freely absorbed in the GIT, it wouldn't exert much of an osmotic effect.

Also, Crohn's is NOT the same as IBS.

Tbh, you seem like you've come in here to look smart, but you don't really understand what you're talking about. Could be wrong though.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

in that case,
    your first post would have been helpful to me if you'd linked to something to support your opinion or stated your credentials. my initial reaction to your first post was to wonder how sugar and water could be bad for rehydrating a sick kid. you suggest that's the case and you might be right, but i'm none the wiser why for your several posts. i understand that this makes me as stupid as people who believe in homeopathy or who believed in thalidomide but you might try explaining rather than derailing what was probably supposed to be a nostalgic thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

No
    I must have read something wrong. I thought the question was if drinking 7up was practiced, not if it had any provable medical merit. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

No
    my mam used to buy it, then keep shaking it and opening it slowly until all the gas went out, only then was it any good apparently.
    just gimme the fuppin 7UP mam im sick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

No
    not as good as oxtail soup

• Advertisement

yerayeah wrote: »
    Primum Non Nocere;)

Since glucose is pretty freely absorbed in the GIT, it wouldn't exert much of an osmotic effect.

Also, Crohn's is NOT the same as IBS.

Tbh, you seem like you've come in here to look smart, but you don't really understand what you're talking about. Could be wrong though.:)

Discussed glucose absorption already. Am well aware that Crohns is different to IBS is different to ulcerative colitis.

Yawn. This thread is so boring. As I said - original one-line simple post made in jest by me about a possible fallacy in Mammy's 7up remedy. I simply responded to every post directed toward me since then, including nasty vitriol, and believe it or not have been very chilled since then despite what other posters may contend.

The nature of these forums are hopelessly circular, so good luck to you all, enjoy your 7up.

Advertisement