Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fanboyism, why we can't help it.

Options
  • 05-06-2010 1:40pm
    Subscribers Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭

Fanboyism, why we can't help it.

Nice article on Gizmodo via You Are Not So Smart

http://gizmodo.com/5555953/fanboyism-and-brand-loyalty
    The Misconception: We prefer the things we own over the things we don't because we made rational choices when we bought them. The Truth?

The truth is that you prefer the things you own because you rationalize your past choices to protect your sense of self.

(continued @ link)

It kind of crosses over a lot of the tech forums, as well as pyschology, and why we make consumer decisions so lifehacking seems a good home for it. Interesting if you haven't come across some of it before. I've read a bit on the time we waste making decisions and one really good book recently (whose name I can't place) on how consumer choice and the data available on the net has crippled out decsion making. Leading us to waste hours and hours on simple unimportant decisions. It also mentioned this bit from the article above which gives it a really solid foundation imo:
    People with brain damage to their emotional centers who have been rendered into Spock-like beings of pure logic find it impossible to decide between things as simple as which cereal to buy. They stand transfixed in the aisle, contemplating every element of their potential decision – the calories, the shapes, the net weight – everything. They can't pick because they have no emotional connection to anything, no emotional motivations.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭thegom145

Great article, gives me something to think about next time I defend my choice of getting a PS3/HTC Desire/Gibson Les Paul :(

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

Good article.

I just bought a new TV and have Buyer's Remorse!

I'm terrible at making decisions when buying anything & generally put to much effort in research (5months for a TV!) – the Internet provides way too much info & I just get caught up in it all.

I’m considering buying a new car – wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

feck the lot of you

C64 4evA! \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hoins

Great article !

Makes you think!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Watch The Hurt Locker. The scene, near the end, where he's standing in the supermarket aisle and decides it's all bull****, kind of sums this up for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

"In modern consumer cultures like America, people compete for status through comparing their taste in products."
    Absolutely. And there is a whole industry of advertisements, newspaper supplements, magazines, etc, all devoted to assigning status to particular products & making those assignments stick.

However, this phenomenon is not universally applicable....I wonder why it does not apply to , say, relationships? Look at the time & energy many people invest in seeking, attracting & retaining a mate.

Consider this paraphrase:

"The truth is that you prefer the product mate you have chosen because you rationalize your past choices to protect your sense of self."

Having invested so much of yourself , why would you not be a fanboy of your mate? Yet, given the relatively high levels of marriage breakdown, I believe many people are not fanboys of their mates. What happens?

So, It is certainly an interesting article, but I wonder what the full story is?

-FoxT

Married for 22 years & proud of it.

Owns but is not particularly devoted to or proud of - products by Canon, Blackberry, Yamaha, Sony, Aiwa, Wranglers, Mitsubishi, ECCO., (and more!)

Umm, maybe there is something wrong with me?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

FoxT wrote: »
    Owns but is not particularly devoted to or proud of - products by Canon, Blackberry, Yamaha, Sony, Aiwa, Wranglers, Mitsubishi, ECCO., (and more!)

Umm, maybe there is something wrong with me?:confused:

WTF dude - ECCO shoes are for retired accountants and their grandparents. Have you no taste? Go to the back of the line...

I am currently wasting every waking moment trying to buy my next motorbike, I change them every six months and spend the two months after I've bought them validating my decision by reading forums and reviews. I need help (and a loan of ten grand...)

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

WTF dude - ECCO shoes are for retired accountants and their grandparents. Have you no taste? Go to the back of the line...

I am currently wasting every waking moment trying to buy my next motorbike, I change them every six months and spend the two months after I've bought them validating my decision by reading forums and reviews. I need help (and a loan of ten grand...)

'cptr

i can validate but have no monies

Advertisement