Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Boy Who Cried Wolf?"

Options
  • 05-06-2010 4:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

I'll keep this very short.
    A friend of mine has been with a girl for the last 2 years. Throughout their arguments during their relationship and afterwards too (they broke up about a week ago) my friend has texted his (ex)girlfriend saying "ok i'm going to hang myself now". I also believe he is self harming (punches to the face from guys he meets whenever he walks home after an argument) to get sympathy and notice from the rest of his friends.

My question(s) are

1. How do I help my friend's (ex) girlfriend move on from this relationship without her worrying that my friend is going to kill himself?
    2. How can I identify if my friend actually wants to kill himself after all of these fake threats?
    3. What is with the (what I am convinced is) self harming? Why do that? What's it's purpose?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    My question(s) are

1. How do I help my friend's (ex) girlfriend move on from this relationship without her worrying that my friend is going to kill himself?
    2. How can I identify if my friend actually wants to kill himself after all of these fake threats?
    3. What is with the (what I am convinced is) self harming? Why do that? What's it's purpose?

Thank you in advance!
    in my experience there is no such thing a false threat when it comes to suicide,how prominent in his mind varies,but if he says it in passing he wants to at some level.

be blunt and ask him if he's depressed or feeling suicidal [yes,it'll feel weird and be awkward,but you could genuinely save his life if he is]

the self harming COULD be a cry for help, my advice would be see how much of his mood and outlook you can figure out and get him to a counsellor if he's in a bad situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Micahelxcx

You appear to be friends with both him and his ex girlfriend.
    What age is he? Is this his first relationship?
    Talk to him and ask him why he threatens to commit suicide.
    Don't be judgemental.
    Suggest he goes to his doctor who could refer him to a psychotherapist.
    Tell him straight that he has to move on and let his past relationship go.
    It is selfish, emotional blackmail telling his gf he is going to hang himself.
    What does he want? His ex to come running back to him?
    It won't happen.
    His girlfriend has no responsibility for his actions. She has done nothing wrong to offend him. Whatever he does is his own business.
    Seems to me he is all absorbed with himself and doesn't care how his words and threat of action could affect people around him.

Advertisement