Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the chances..

Options
  • 05-06-2010 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I recently got accepted into a masters course in Kings College London with a conditional offer providing I get a 2.1 in my degree.

I got my results this week and was pretty upset with a 2.2. Its a science degree and wasn't the easiest subject but I still know I worked hard and deserved a 2.1.

So my question really is, what are my chances of getting into Kings now? I mean they said a 2.1 but could they let me in with my 2.2? I have to see what my breakdown is still but it was the highest 2.2 in the class so I can only presume I was pretty close to a 2.1.

Comments

1) Check your exam papers - lecturers can and have made mistakes when totalling up the marks.
    2) Colleges can overlook exam grades if, well, they like you. Do they have any leeway on the II.1? Did you win any awards in college but the final year exams themselves didn't go well?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

star_ wrote: »
    I recently got accepted into a masters course in Kings College London with a conditional offer providing I get a 2.1 in my degree.

I got my results this week and was pretty upset with a 2.2. Its a science degree and wasn't the easiest subject but I still know I worked hard and deserved a 2.1.

So my question really is, what are my chances of getting into Kings now? I mean they said a 2.1 but could they let me in with my 2.2? I have to see what my breakdown is still but it was the highest 2.2 in the class so I can only presume I was pretty close to a 2.1.

There probably isn't anything you can do in terms of King's College's requirements, but you should arrange to view your papers here, and appeal grades if they seem off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 star_

To Dublin 4life I don't do drugs or drink..In fact I put my blood sweat and tear into my finals so please kindly refrain from commenting if it is not helpful...

To thos who posted the tips thank you so much! I got a 2.1 last year which accounted for 10% so I am hoping that works to my advantage!

I will review the breakdown and then decide on appeals as everything is double marked!

fingers crossed an error was made in addition!

Once again thak you to those who posted the tips..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I don't think your grade will go up from a 2.2 to a 2.1 unless they committed a blunder and didn't give you marks for labs/assignments etc. It's still possible of course.

These conditional offers are negotiable, and if you do have some extra qualities they might over look the 2.2 and enter you with the 2.1.

best of luck

I don't think your grade will go up from a 2.2 to a 2.1 unless they committed a blunder and didn't give you marks for labs/assignments etc. It's still possible of course.

These conditional offers are negotiable, and if you do have some extra qualities they might over look the 2.2 and enter you with the 2.1.

best of luck

Thank you,

I got 59% so close! So I am hoping that there will be some leniency! I talked it through with my lecturer and there seems no point in rechecks, according to him trinity is very long winded. I am actually just thrilled as its not a bad grade after all. I know its not the 2.1 but I am actually delighted its not a low 2.2!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Thank you,

I got 59% so close! So I am hoping that there will be some leniency! I talked it through with my lecturer and there seems no point in rechecks, according to him trinity is very long winded. I am actually just thrilled as its not a bad grade after all. I know its not the 2.1 but I am actually delighted its not a low 2.2!

I got upgraded from a 2.I to a I one year in my undergrad because when I went to view my papers it turned out that they'd simply forgotten to add the results from a part of our labs (I got a 0 for it, it wasn't that it wasn't taken into account at all). Once I brought this up it turned out the same had happened to a number of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dublin4Life

why are you worrying about what GPA you will get?, once your degree is from trinity you will be fine, hence you pass obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Girl in my class found out today that she passed a subject which the results which were posted by the department said she had failed.

Always a good idea to get things checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

+1 on the checking things out.

And if you are that close, then its definitely worth asking if they can squeeze a few marks from somewhere. Anywhere!

Lousy that they'd stick ya with a 59% in the first place though. It seems as if (in the maths dept anyway), if youre close to making a grade, they'll always bring ya up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

why are you worrying about what GPA you will get?, once your degree is from trinity you will be fine, hence you pass obviously

The OP said in the original post why the grade mattered. You mocked him/her in your last (deleted) post. I'm not entirely sure what the point of this one is.

The grade matters because the OP won't get their master's course without a certain grade.

Also, GPA doesn't apply to Irish and British universities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Thank you,

Get it checked, their lousy for not bumping you up considering how important it is for your career, knowing people don't just look at your percentage but your overall grade.

It might be more work for them but go for it, absolutely nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Also, GPA doesn't apply to Irish and British universities.

Don't UCDD use GPA? Not the same GPA system as the states, but GPA nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

shay_562 wrote: »
    Don't UCDD use GPA? Not the same GPA system as the states, but GPA nonetheless.

Yes you get a GPA but it is turned into the old fashioned way of grading when you finish, 1.1,2.1,2.2 etc etc

Thanks again everyone for all your'e help! I spoke to Kings and they said that I should have my place, seeing as I was so close. Having a degree from trinity was obviously an added bonus, as the course coordinator in Kings was very impressed and knew that Trinity had impeccably high standards. I am absolutely delighted. I have all the break down of each subject and continuous assessment and there really is no way that I would be brought up.

Thanks again everyone for all your'e help! I spoke to Kings and they said that I should have my place, seeing as I was so close. Having a degree from trinity was obviously an added bonus, as the course coordinator in Kings was very impressed and knew that Trinity had impeccably high standards. I am absolutely delighted. I have all the break down of each subject and continuous assessment and there really is no way that I would be brought up.

That's wonderful! Congratulations - I'd say you absolutely deserve it and I hope it goes really well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

How do you go about looking at your papers?

Also congratulations on getting your place:D

Email the lecturer and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Congrats, thats great!

You're one of a few heading to Kings from Trinity then... enjoy London!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I got upgraded from a 2.I to a I one year in my undergrad because when I went to view my papers it turned out that they'd simply forgotten to add the results from a part of our labs (I got a 0 for it, it wasn't that it wasn't taken into account at all). Once I brought this up it turned out the same had happened to a number of people.
    Same happened to me. You're completely entitled to view your papers yourself, don't let anyone put you off doing it!
    Bajingo wrote: »
    How do you go about looking at your papers
    As someone else said, arrange it with the lecturer of each individual paper. If the paper had questions from multiple lecturers, contact the school administrator.

If you have any trouble, contact your tutor.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Just a question about results. A friend of mine passed all her exams then there were amendments to the results and they told her she failed. She rang up and now they've told her she passed. WTF? I mean the poor girl doesn't know if she's coming or going?

Is that a regular occurrence with Trinity?

• Advertisement

Larianne wrote: »
    Just a question about results. A friend of mine passed all her exams then there were amendments to the results and they told her she failed. She rang up and now they've told her she passed. WTF? I mean the poor girl doesn't know if she's coming or going?

Is that a regular occurrence with Trinity?

Sounds like something which happened in UCD for my mate doing final year engineering when they had 3 'provisional results' given to students which were completely different to the final results. Anyways, dunno anymore about whether it's a regular occurrence but I'd strongly strongly advice her to go and view her papers, if the department have put out incorrect information in the past I wouldn't trust the total given.

Advertisement