Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finishing cattle

Options
  • 04-06-2010 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Have 15 heifers i am hoping to finish for the factory by the end of august, what would be the best ration to finish them.I am giving them grennans bull beef crunch now at one and a half bags a day

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

grass only until mid july

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭k mac

So do you think i should cut back on what i am giving them now blue ? What do you think i should give them then from mid july?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

50/50 mix of barley and citrus. Feed 3lbs head a day for a month before finishing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It depends when you want to slaughter them, if you stay goin with meal now they should be fit to kill in july, need to do it cheaply though, that 50/50 barley citrus will be ok on grass.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

with all that meal, will you make a profit at all?

I know chaps who get €12/1500 in the factory for animals and I get jealous, but when I hear that they might have put €1000+ of meal into them, then I become sane again!

I think that if you have good grass, then that should nearly do if you want max profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

k mac wrote: »
    Have 15 heifers i am hoping to finish for the factory by the end of august, what would be the best ration to finish them.I am giving them grennans bull beef crunch now at one and a half bags a day

I'm told you should only give them nuts for 6 weeks before you plan to slaughter them, you build them up to 4kgs a head to get the best response.
    the gain effect is diminished by giving them nuts constantly, good grass this time of year is your cheapest means of gaining weight.

Advertisement