Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An update from the VEC

Options
  • 04-06-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

I spoke to a really lovely lady in the Co. Limerick VEC today and for once I felt sorry for a civil servant as in the weeks to come they are going to get a lot of abuse.

Only in the past week there has been a directive from the Dept of Education with regard to grant applications and cut backs. Where I am stuck is that I did a plc course Level 5 and I now want to go onto Level 6 and City & Guilds but they are deemed two separate one year courses so now its not possible to receive BTEA and the maintenance grant.

Its going to affect a lot of students in my class and I may have to withdraw myself as with the costs of the course and even travel there is no way I could afford it.

Line me up some politicians so that let rip. Its galling that FF senators can calim excessive expenses and students can't get the help they need.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

My partner is in the same position as you, going to move from a level 5 to a level 6. He has been emailing TDs for a while now. Last week he had a meeting with a senator who advised him to contact the minister for social protection Eamon O'Cuiv. We had a meeting with him yesterday and he is talking about helping out the students who are affected by this and have dependent children. He wants to give them extra money with their book allowance(when my partner asked if it would be as much as the grant O'Cuiv nearly laughed in his face) and is meeting with Mary Coughlan this week to discuss the matter. O'Cuiv said though that he will NOT be helping out "singles" as he put it as he feels that the dole is more than enough for them. By making this cutback the government are saving 4million a year which is 0.1% of what they are giving to Anglo Irish alone. Our next target is a local TD of ours Michael D Higgins who we have heard is trying to make changes to this saying that is unconstitutional. If people keep quiet on this then there will be no change but if you contact your local TDs and at least try to make your voice heard there is a possibility is of change. It only takes a few minutes to fire off some emails and make a few phone calls. The more people that try the more chance there is of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I have my local TD working on it as well noaddedsugar and he is very supportive of my predicament.

It makes me so mad that Senators and TD's can get expenses just to go to work and all we want is try re-educate so that we can try and get a job and support the economy and they take from us.

Making cutbacks in education is never ever a good idea but Fianna Fail are not thinking of the ordinary people that vote but for only for bankers and developers.

As you say noaddedsugar - emailing politicians is our best tool and I hope Michael D. does succeed. I have always respected Mr. Higgins as a politician.

Advertisement