Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking cans in a pub

Options
  • 04-06-2010 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

Drinking Cans in a pub? Would it put you off seeing people drink cans at a bar!

Would you llike or dislike cans being made available in pubs 85 votes

Im 18 - 30 and i Would like to be able to have a can in a pub
    0% 0 votes
    Im 30 - 50 and i Would like to be able to have a can in a pub
    38% 33 votes
    im 50 + and i Would like to be able to have a can in a pub
    7% 6 votes
    im 18 - 30 and it would bother me seeing people drink cans in a pub
    1% 1 vote
    im 30 - 50 and it would bother me seeing people drink cans in a pub
    12% 11 votes
    im 50 + and it would bother me seeing people drink cans in a pub
    4% 4 votes
    im 18 - 30 and it wouldnt make a difference to me
    0% 0 votes
    im 30 - 50 and it wouldnt make a difference to me
    23% 20 votes
    im 50 + and it wouldnt make a difference to me
    11% 10 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

As I said in the other thread, drinking out of the cans would look a bit low class.

But if the can is poured into a pint glass it's grand. Nobody would know the difference between somebody drinking a tap pint or a can pint.

At 3 euro a can, it definitely would open up more business for pubs from people like me that'd want to only spend 20 euro but still get a fair few pints in and stay for a good few hours.

I currently drink in a pub about once every six weeks and spend about 50 euro on that visit. But at 3 euro a drink it'd be a weekly thing and I'd spend 20. So that's 120 euro off me as a punter in a six week period instead of 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

koHd wrote: »
    As I said in the other thread, drinking out of the cans would look a bit low class.

But if the can is poured into a pint glass it's grand. Nobody would know the difference between somebody drinking a tap pint or a can pint.

At 3 euro a can, it definitely would open up more business for pubs from people like me that'd want to only spend 20 euro but still get a fair few pints in and stay for a good few hours.

I currently drink in a pub about once every six weeks and spend about 50 euro on that visit. But at 3 euro a drink it'd be a weekly thing and I'd spend 20. So that's 120 euro off me as a punter in a six week period instead of 50.

We sell pints of Bavaria at €3.10 a pint, so maybe the cost is not actually the issue!

ardinn wrote: »
    We sell pints of Bavaria at €3.10 a pint, so maybe the cost is not actually the issue!

If I lived near your bar I'd be sorted then.

My locals cheapest beer is 4.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

wouldnt like it unless it was a college bar and they were 2 euro each like in Trinity College Pavillion bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I'm slightly confused, some pubs do sell cans and have done for years. Always get a glass with one, wouldn't feel right drinking from a can anywhere other than a house party.

• Advertisement

Also you have to factor in a lot of people have a particular beer they'll want to drink. I love bavaria. But there are people that won't touch anything other than Budweiser, Carlsberg, Coors Light etc. So cheap bavaria doesn't entice them. But cheap pints of what they do like will entice them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

PS theres room for new bars to open charging a lot less per pint and making money on volume rather than margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

The whole point of the business is your margin, as someone who's in the business I can tell you that. There's no point breaking even just to seem busy, that being said at 4 euro for a pint of Heineken in Cork City I feel we're as reasonable as we can be.

During these happy hours etc all you're doing is turning over money, profit is very small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Sktchr

I have to disagree. I find there's a big difference between draught beer and beer from a can. Many people in my local prefer their pints and the introduction of cans would damage the business of the pub. it would lose out because there simply would not be enough people drinking cans.

The only use of cans in a pub would be for a carry out.

Sktchr wrote: »
    I have to disagree. I find there's a big difference between draught beer and beer from a can. Many people in my local prefer their pints and the introduction of cans would damage the business of the pub. it would lose out because there simply would not be enough people drinking cans.

I meant no difference to other punters. Like if me and a few friends had got our pints poured from cans, other drinkers would not know, as we're drinking pints from a pint glass, just as a pint would be from the tap. Purely talking aesthetics in the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

This may be the case in places like Dublin, Galway and Cork city centres where you have the foot fall. However there are plenty of Pubs in less busy areas selling cans ... Bulmers would be a prime example. Many pubs don't have the business to sell it on draught so they stock cans and bottles instead. Cans are very popular as bottles can be too expensive for some. Always served with a glass but you pour your own. However I have seen people drinking straight from the can. It is more popular than you think. No big deal it is still a drink that you are paying the market price for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

ardinn wrote: »
    Drinking Cans in a pub? Would it put you off seeing people drink cans at a bar!

sorry I didnt see your other post about excise tax before I posted. Cans work well in nightclubs in some countries eg Scotland everyone drinks cans. Not so sure it would work in a pub though, I wouldnt buy a can of beer in a pub I'd prefer to pay for a pint. Lots of pubs in Ireland sell cans of cider but doesnt seem to be too popular

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What about drinking from bottles? I know some women think it appears "higher class", and would not be seen drinking a pint.
    wouldn't feel right drinking from a can anywhere other than a house party.
    What about bottles? would you not feel right drinking from a bottle in a pub?

I think people think it is not right just because it not seen often. If traditionally cans were sold in pubs and bottles were not then people drinking from cans would be a common sight, and people might think drinking out of bottles in pubs is odd or "low class".
    Many people in my local prefer their pints and the introduction of cans would damage the business of the pub. it would lose out because there simply would not be enough people drinking cans.
    I don't follow your logic, if cans are not sold how do you know they prefer pints, or is it just a guess (I imagine they would too, but logically I cannot be certain). I don't see how it would damage the pubs business though, people buy it or not, just like bottles or pints.
    Same could be said about bottles, but pubs are full of people drinking from them.
    The zoo bar in dublin city used to sell cans and we used to sneak our own in, being young and low on money. The advantage was also walking around in a jammed bar it is less likely to fall etc, no broken glass. I am shocked that concert venues have not come up with cans or some other idea. Though the hard plastic glasses with the deposit at oxegen are a good idea
    At 3 euro a can, it definitely would open up more business for pubs.... But at 3 euro a drink
    Where did this €3 come out of? A mate of mine drinks bottles of heineken. It is usually more expensive for a bottle than a pint, up to €5.50. Now seeing as cans are usually more expensive in off licences then logically the can should cost more than the bottle, and a lot more than a draught pint. Though logic might not be publicans strong point. I spoke before about my worry at seeing longnecks of erdinger in offies.
    rubadub wrote: »
    I saw longneck erdingers in an offie a few months ago. I thought uh-oh won't be long before the pubs get these in, and now I have noticed they have. I started a thread about the ridiculous price of long necks before. And it is my theory why bulmers pint bottles are so expensive. Pubs have bulmers on draught say €5, a long neck is usually more these days, so say €5.20 so then they go and price the pint bottle in line with the longneck I have heard of pubs charging €8.60.

I can imagine this happening with erdinger and other decent beers now. e.g. in many pubs a pint of erdinger might be €5.40, and the 500ml bottle would be around the same. But I can now see them charging say €5.20 for a heineken longneck, €5.40 for a erdinger longneck (since it is usually dearer than heineken), and then would not be surprised if we do start seeing 500ml bottle of erdinger going for €6-8 like bulmers.

I expect many pubs are just directly swopping the 500ml with the 330ml and charging the exact same.

I wonder what is next, I think I have seen budvar longnecks in offies too, a sad day...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Its funny but it would actually make more sense selling cans in a pub (even have 33cl ones, they do exist for some beers) and they would be a safer alternative to bottles, bottles can equal a weapon in the wrong hands, a can would take much more effort to make a weapon :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 xxlily87xx

when i lived in athlone a few years back a couple of the bars sold cans and it was handy because some beers i only like out of cans and not out of the tap and bottles goes way too quick.

Advertisement