Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't know what to buy BF

Options
  • 03-06-2010 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I know this is such a silly PI but I'm so stressed about it. Basically, I have no idea what to get my boyfriend for his birthday. I am absolutely awful with presents and rarely give or get them. I just find guys really, really hard to buy for. I love my fella to bits and want to get him a great present but I just can't think of what. He likes books but I dunno everything he's already read, he likes cooking but not a big cookbook person, he's not into sport. I'd love to get him a trip away but I'm too broke. The day is getting closer and closer and im still at a loss. I dont want it to look like I just didn't bother or bought him any old tat :( Does anyone else have this issue? Buying for girls is fine, but I'm a disaster when it comes to guys :(

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Hi OP, there is a Gifts & Festivities and Party Ideas forum, but since you are unregistered if I move the thread there, you won't be able to reply.

What's your budget? What age will he be? Does he have any gaming consoles (always handy for gift ideas)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

men are a wide and varied creature. What one might like another might not

What are his interests

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I'd make him something! Hand-made presents are always so much more personal, cards at least. If you make him something I'm sure he'll love it either way. :)

I hope you think of something. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

if he likes cooking but doesn't use recipe books, you can get blank special notebooks for recipes that he could write his favourite ones into, or you could fill in some special ones for him that you know he likes, make it a bit personal. you can get them in paper chase in arnotts if you're in dublin. just a thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eskimoparty

Best present my gf got me was LEGO. There are technics from around €50 plus up to computer programmable one for €200+. . We both love spending a few hours making it an then leave it around or make random stuff after!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Single at the moment :mad: but.......

Best gift I ever got for my birthday was a 1000 piece jigsaw which likely cost a 5er :D We spent 4 nights putting it together and taped it up and hung it on the wall. I am the kind of guy that has everythign and nothing and is super fussy about clothes etc and am not in to aftershaves etc and if its for xbox or is a movie or is music i have it.

Jigsaw was perfect for me , other lads might scoff at it though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭S23

Really depends on the lad himself. You must have some inkling of what he likes. There must be some facet of his personality that tips a wink to what might be a good present for him.

You said he likes reading? Anything specific or will he just read whatever you put in front of him? I know books don't seem romantic or the like but I absolutely love getting books as a present. I can never have enough books as far as I am concerned so if that seems a goer with him then just take the plunge and get him a book or two?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Silverfish wrote: »
    Hi OP, there is a Gifts & Festivities and Party Ideas forum, but since you are unregistered if I move the thread there, you won't be able to reply.

Posting anonymously is enabled for the forum :)

OP how about hopping into a gadget shop they always have varied things that are pretty cool, I love the one in dundrum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Micahelxcx

Well, you don't say what age he is or how long you've been together.
    If you aren't going out too long then a nice shirt or two. If you know him very well why not get him a nice shirt and a pair of shorts for our lovely weather and top them off with a nice pair of sunnies?
    Maybe get him some underwear too!!!!
    I loved when my ex bought me clothes, she always got me nice things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭finbarrk

There wouldn't be anything wrong with getting him a voucher for a book shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

I'd love to get him a trip away but I'm too broke.

Well if you want to go somewhere and not spend very much money, how about you buy him a tent (should be around €20), a nice bottle of wine, and a ticket for the aran islands ferry.

It's beautiful out there, but I suppose everyones different, that could be another person's idea of hell :P

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If he is like cooking get him some really good cookware. I am talking about the stuff that lasts a life time.
    Some Le Cruset pots, a good set of knives. When you buy knives get them from a repuabtle seller like a store not a customs and excise resale or a man in a van. Both sell nice looking stuff but it is knock off and difficult to sharpen.
    Victornox are always good value and great quality
    Wusthof, Henckel are all good names.
    Sabatiers will last a life time, but check they are made in France not People Republic of China.

When you have gotten your knives got them engraved at key cutting shop or if you can afford it a jewelers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Hey op,

If the finances are tight what I would do is print out a really nice picture of the two of you and get a nice photo frame and put the picture into it. Make a nice dinner for him, get a dvd and a bottle of wine.

Hope he has a nice birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Des Carter

Although this might sound like a cop out I think you should just ask him what he wants.

I had a similiar problem but with brothers and sisters (buying presents they didnt like and then watching them act like they loved it) so I just started asking them and it works as they always get what they want.

It takes away the surprise element but its not like he doesnt know your going to buy him a present and its similiar to a child writing a letter to santa (they know what they are going to get but are still happy to get it.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Des Carter wrote: »
    Although this might sound like a cop out I think you should just ask him what he wants.

I had a similiar problem but with brothers and sisters (buying presents they didnt like and then watching them act like they loved it) so I just started asking them and it works as they always get what they want.

It takes away the surprise element but its not like he doesnt know your going to buy him a present and its similiar to a child writing a letter to santa (they know what they are going to get but are still happy to get it.)

Plus you can ask for a few things he would like and then pick one, for the surprise element

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭cherryred

how about tickets to a gig either music or comedy?

Or even a take him out for a nice meal and then to the cinema? You can get a VIP ticket for dundrum cinema and sit in the comfy seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

A meal, (earlybird perfectly delightful!) and tickets for a gig or show of some sort is a great idea. As a lad I'd love that personally. Shows some effort went into it. Anyone can buy Xbox games and to be honest it'd kind of seem more like a Christmas present from an auntie to me rather than a gift from a romantic interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

How about a voucher for a cookery school? There are some good ones around, I believe (actually I'd prefer the gig option).

BTW I also like the idea of you making something for him. Or giving a special-romantic night?

Good luck.

Advertisement