Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jobseekers benefit holiday and starting new job

Options
  • 03-06-2010 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I've been on jobseekers benefit for about 4 months now. I just accepted a job that starts at the beginning of July.
    I want to take a two week holiday before I start the new job and have an opportunity to take a last minute offer that leaves on Monday.
    So, two questions:
    - since I have a job that starts in July am I still entitled to JSB up to my start date? I presume I am since I won't have any other income for that period. The July start date is the decision of the company, not me.
    - assuming I am entitled to JSB for the next few weeks how do I go about applying for a 'holiday' from signing on? Is it too late to do this now if I want to leave on Monday? The reason for the short notice is simply down to the price of the last minute offers.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

jordan1974 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been on jobseekers benefit for about 4 months now. I just accepted a job that starts at the beginning of July.
    I want to take a two week holiday before I start the new job and have an opportunity to take a last minute offer that leaves on Monday.
    So, two questions:
    - since I have a job that starts in July am I still entitled to JSB up to my start date? I presume I am since I won't have any other income for that period. The July start date is the decision of the company, not me.
    - assuming I am entitled to JSB for the next few weeks how do I go about applying for a 'holiday' from signing on? Is it too late to do this now if I want to leave on Monday? The reason for the short notice is simply down to the price of the last minute offers.

Cheers.

Well done on getting a job

well when i went on holidays a month ago i went into my SW office 2 weeks before i left to tell them i will be going on holidays as i thought that was the correct time frame to do it but i was told to come back in the thursday or friday before i was to go, i was going on a saturday so i just went in the day before i went and told them and i filled out the form but maybe its differant from office to office,

yes of course you will be entitled to stay on the dole until your job starts

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jordan1974

gustafo wrote: »
    Well done on getting a job

well when i went on holidays a month ago i went into my SW office 2 weeks before i left to tell them i will be going on holidays as i thought that was the correct time frame to do it but i was told to come back in the thursday or friday before i was to go, i was going on a saturday so i just went in the day before i went and told them and i filled out the form but maybe its differant from office to office,

yes of course you will be entitled to stay on the dole until your job starts

Good luck

Thanks for that. I'll knock down to them tomorrow then.

Advertisement